Indian Prawn Curry recipe in South Indian Style is a tasty and delicious shrimp curry. This flavorful dish is a spicy and delicious seafood recipe.
For more similar recipes try the following dishes
Made with simple spices and ingredients, this South Indian Prawn Curry recipe is a truly a delight to eat. Once your clean the prawns, it is a breeze to make this dish. Prawns or the shrimps are known as Eral in Tamil. In more common language we just call it as eraa.
Having grown up in the coastal South Indian city of Chennai, seafood comes naturally to me. Though I was never so fond of the seafood while growing up, it has become of an acquired taste after marriage. I have started liking the seafood more and more now.
While it is easy for the chicken and mutton to be fed unhealthy stuff to boost their growth. I feel seafood is a better alternative. And hence like to cook more of the seafood now. Still, it is strange that I have so few seafood recipes on my blog. Hopefully that will change in coming recipes. In sha ALLAH.
The South Indian Prawn Curry recipe is a pretty simple to make recipe. You can make this like any other curry. With the only difference being the prawns get cooked pretty fast. The seafood should not be cooked too long. Or else they turn pretty hard and rubbery. Just cook till they are done.
I prefer the South Indian Prawn Curry recipe to be little spicy. The taste comes out really good with the spice. But if spice is not your thing, then just reduce the amount of chilli in it. You can reduce the red chilli powder.
And unlike the other Prawn Gravy or the Eral Kulambu recipe that I have already shared on my blog, this is more of a curry and not a gravy. Confused? That would mean that it can be served as a side dish along with rice and dal. You can even serve it along with Indian Bread. I like it with some plain chapati. So it is totally up to you how you would like to serve it.
So let’s get started with the Indian Prawn Curry Recipe, South Indian Prawn Masala, Eral Masala
Indian Prawn Curry Recipe, South Indian Prawn Masala, Eral Masala
- 500 gms prawns de shelled and de veined
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 green chili slit in middle
- 1 big onion finely sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped or puree
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves / cilantro
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add the green chilli and onion. Fry till the onion turns lightly brown.
- Add in the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears from it.
- Add in the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and stir.
- Throw in the tomatoes and cook till the tomato turns soft and pulpy.
- Add in the prawns and cook on low flame till the prawns are cooked and all the masala is coated to the prawns well. (There won't be any necessity to add water as the prawns leave water while getting cooked. But if you feel that they are turning dry, add in some water.)
- Finally add salt and coriander leaves. Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with plain rice and dal or as a side dish to roti.
Signing off until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com. Appreciate your help.