Indian Chicken Tikka Masala recipe with step by step photos and video instructions is a delicious gravy with melt in the mouth chicken pieces. Who doesn’t know the Chicken Tikka Masala. It is so famous throughout the world that every country will have it’s own versions. Some sweet, some hot, some tangy! The origins of the chicken tikka masala are pretty controversial. With Indians claiming the right over it so do the British! I really don’t care what are the origins as long as I get to eat some chicken tikka with some naan.
The Indian Chicken Tikka Masala recipe can even be labeled as comfort food. When you are upset and don’t feel like cooking, you would head to a restaurant and order some chicken tikka. Your mood would instantly be lifted.
But when you can make this amazingly delicious Indian Chicken Tikka masala recipe at home, it is almost therapeutic. It is actually not so difficult to make. All we have to do is marinate the chicken with some spices. Then we would grill/bake them before adding to a tasty gravy. It tastes best when served with Nan or any other Indian breads.
How to marinate the chicken for making the indian chicken tikka gravy?
First, we will take the chicken pieces in a bowl and add the red chili powder, ginger garlic paste, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, salt, and yogurt. Mix them well with the chicken and marinate overnight or at least 6 hours in the refrigerator.
How to cook the chicken for preparing the chicken tikka masala?
Traditionally we would grill the tikka in a tandoor or an outdoor grill. But you can also bake the chicken pieces or even fry the chicken pieces if you want a quick fix version.
Is Indian Chicken Tikka Masala healthy?
Yes, you can actually make this tikka masala in a healthy way. Unlike the general impression that the Indian Chicken Tikka Masala is too greasy and unhealthy, this can be made in a healthy version too. If you don’t add the cream, there is nothing that actually would load the calories. And using olive oil will leave you guilt – free for indulging.
Is Tikka Masala Spicy?
Yes, the tikka masala is pretty spicy as we will be adding the red chili powder in the marination as well as in the gravy. And we also add the green chili while grinding the paste. But if you are not such a huge fan of spicy food, then feel free to reduce according to your preference.
Pro Tips / Important Points to remember while making the chicken tikka masala
Step By step Pictorial process of making the indian chicken tikka masala
1. Take the chicken pieces in a bowl and add the marination ingredients.
2. Mix well and marinate in the refrigerator overnight or at least 6 hours.
3. Heat a grill pan, add place the chicken pieces on it.
4. Grill until the chicken turns brown and is cooked.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add the onions. Fry till translucent and add the ginger garlic paste. Cook until the raw smell vanishes from it. Next add the garam masala powder, red chili pwoder, green chili and tomato. Cook until tomato turns soft and mushy. Remove from heat and grind to make a paste.
6. Heat butter in the same pan and add the ground paste.
7. Add the chicken pieces and cook covered until the masala thickens. If you prefer a thinner gravy, you can also add some water at this stage.
8. Finally, mix in the cream and stir and remove from heat. Serve hot.
Serve this tikka masala hot garnished with coriander leaves and green chili.
You can serve this Indian chicken tikka masala recipe with any kind of Indian Bread or Rice. It pares perfectly well with any kind of food as a side dish.
For more similar recipes try the following links
So let’s just get started with the Indian Chicken Tikka Masala recipe
Indian Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe, Chicken Tikka Gravy
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 750 grams boneless chicken, thigh or breast pieces, cut into cubes
For the marination
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder, This gives a nice color to the chicken and is not too spicy like other chillis
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- salt to taste
For the chicken tikka paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 no. tomatoes
For Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp sugar, optional
- 2 tbsp cream, optional
How To Make:
Preparing the Chicken
- Take the chicken pieces in a bowl and add the red chili powder, ginger garlic paste, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, salt, and yogurt. Mix well. Marinate overnight or at least 6 hours in the refrigerator.
- Grill the marinated chicken or bake them in a pre-heated oven of 220 C for 15 minutes or till done. (Every oven setting is different, so be careful while baking,)
Preparing the paste
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add onions. Fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, green chili, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and tomato. Cook until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Remove from flame and allow it to cool. Blend to make a paste.
Preparing the chicken tikka masala
- Heat the butter in a pan and add this paste.
- Add the chicken pieces. Mix thoroughly. (Add in water according to your desired consistency.) Cook covered on low heat for about 15 minutes or till the gravy thickens.
- Mix in the sugar and cream now. (You can adjust salt at this stage) Give it a stir and remove from heat.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves along with roti or nan.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in October of 2016. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. New images, Step by Step Photos and Video has been added in January 2019.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.