السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani recipe, a very, very popular dish thoughout the world. If you are a biryani lover, I am sure you must have tasted or heard about it at least once. Made with exotic Indian spices, this recipe cannot be missed if you really want to get the real feel of the biryani.
The Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani recipe is an elaborate process but in the end, your kitchen will be filled with the mesmerising fragrance of rich basmati rice and tender chicken cooked in pure ghee. It is the perfect balance of flavors with a rich aroma, the chicken would be off the bones and would still holding its shape. The use of India Gate – White Basmati Rice – Classic transforms the the taste from home-made to restaurant style. I strongly recommend using India Gate Classic for all your biryani recipes, I feel no other rice comes close. And no, I was certainly not paid to say this. It is the rice that we have been using it at my home when I was small too. So if you get this rice in the place that you live, definitely do try to use it.
The Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani recipe is generally served along with raita or bagare baingan or mirchi ka salan. It is upto you how you would like to relish this delicacy. Some people like to eat it without any accompaniments, while some others would much prefer to eat it with mango pickle. The accompaniment is definitely a personal choice. My first perference is the mirchi ka salan but if not I much rather like to eat it with the pickle than the raita. To get an authentic flavor and taste, follow all the mentioned ingredients and do not substitute the ghee for oil. The Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani recipe is just not complete without it. But if you must add half of each. What is a biryani without some ghee in it. 😉 Though the ingredient list will look never ending, but it is pretty simple if you go through it. If I can cook it, so can you. 🙂
Let’s get started with the Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani, How to make Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani recipe
Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani Recipe
- 1 chicken cut into medium pieces
- 500 gms basmati rice
- 100 gms ghee
- 2 tbsp oil
- 6 onions finely sliced
- 4 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 green chilli slit in the middle
- 2 green cardamom 2 black cardamom, 2 javitri, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp shahi jeera, 1/2 tsp jeera, 1 inch stick cinnamon, 3 cloves
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 cup yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch of coriander leaves / cilantro chopped
- 1/2 bunch of mint leaves / pudina chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp orange food colouring
- Marinate the chicken pieces with yogurt, red chili powder, ginger garlic paste, green chilli, garam masala powder, coriander leaves, pudina leaves, salt and lemon juice. Marinate for at least 8 hours or preferably overnight in the refrigerator. Bring the marinated chicken to room temperature before making the biryani recipe.
- Wash the rice and soak for 30 minutes. In a large vessel boil sufficient water with salt, 1tbsp oil, cardamon( green & black), javitri and bay leaf. Add the rice and bring it to a boil. The rice should be only 50% cooked. Drain the water from the rice and retain the water.
- Heat the remaining oil and ghee in a large, heavy bottomed pan and fry onions till golden brown.
- Throw in the shahi jeera, jeera, cinnamon and cloves. Fry for about 30 seconds till an aroma starts emanating and add the marinated chicken.
- Add the rice on top of the chicken and spread them evenly.
- Dissolve orange food colouring in 1 tsp water and sprinke on top of rice. Sprinkle little ghee on the rice.
- Cover the lid and seal it with atta dough or with aluminium foil. Keep a heavy weight on top of the lid or alternatively use the retained water from rice on top.
- Cook on high heat for 10 minutes and simmer for approximately 40 minutes.
- Remove the dough when ready to eat the biryani. Enjoy with a mirchi ka salan
Signing off until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
For more such easy recipes try out the following