Learn how to make Chicken 65 recipe in an easy and simple way. A delicious and tasty chicken recipe that will leave you asking for more.
For more similar recipes try the following
Why call it Chicken 65?
What’s in a name, or so you would think. The name of this recipe “Chicken 65” is truly one such name which amuses me to the core. There are so many stories to it, one such story is that the chicken has to be less than 65 days old(???), and another says that it requires exactly 65 ingredients to make this dish.
Does chicken 65 recipe really need 65 ingredients?
Now if you have already scrolled down to check my ingredient list, don’t be alarmed, my recipe doesn’t call for 65 ingredients. And yet another story says that it was introduced in the year 1965 in Chennai, hence the name. Either way, this hot and spicy dish makes a wonderful addition to any Indian meal.
Whatever the name and whatever the story, it is a very special dish. It is a very popular dish worldwide and especially in South India. You will find fancy restaurants to roadside eateries all serving this delicacy.
How to serve the chicken 65 recipe
Chicken 65 recipe is a spicy, red, deep fried chicken chunks usually served as a snack, entree or quick appetizer accompanied by onion slices, slit green chilies and lemon wedges. It’s absolutely perfect for entertaining and can be made well in advance and just heated through gently before serving.
Expert tips to remember
- Take boneless chicken for this recipe. Though you can also make it with bone-in chicken pieces, but it tastes best with the boneless chicken.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces.
- You can make it dry or into a curry type. Just add in more yogurt when tempering and switch off the flame before it dries up.
- For removing the raw smell from the chicken, wash the chicken pieces with turmeric powder, wheat flour, and vinegar.
- The tempering is very important for this recipe. Please do not skip it.
If you prefer the bright red color that is generally served at the restaurants, you can add red food coloring. But I try to avoid the artificial color as much as possible so I have omitted it. But you can use it if you wish.
So let’s get started with the chicken 65 recipe.
Step by step pictorial for making chicken 65 recipe
- Marinate boneless chicken with egg, ginger garlic paste, and other spices.
- Mix well and marinate overnight or at least for 2 hours.
- Fry the chicken pieces till golden brown. Drain from oil and set aside on a kitchen towel.
- Heat oil and add ginger garlic paste, green chili, and curry leaves.
- Add the red chili powder and yogurt. Fry well.
- Add the fried chicken pieces and cook until the masala is coated to the chicken pieces.
Chicken 65 recipe
- 1/2 kg boneless chicken cut into small pieces?
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp white flour / maida
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- few curry leaves
- oil for frying + 2 tbsp
- 2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- In a bowl, add chicken, half of the ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt, eggs, and maida. Mix well and marinate chicken pieces with the mixture. Refrigerate the chicken overnight or at least 2 hours
- In a large pan or Kadai (wok) add oil for deep frying. Add chicken pieces and fry on medium flame until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel and keep these chicken pieces aside.
- In a separate kadai, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add remaining ginger-garlic paste and fry for a couple of minutes on a slow fire. Add slit green chilies and curry leaves and let it splutter. Add beaten yogurt. Mix well and add cooked chicken pieces.
- Cook till all the chicken pieces are coated with the masala and are completely dry.
- Remove from heat and serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander, mint leaves, and lemon wedges.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in April 2015. New image, step by step photos, and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily in September of 2018. However the recipe was untouched.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com. Appreciate your help.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.