السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Hariyali Chicken Curry recipe – Murgh Hariyali Masala, a simple and tasty chicken curry recipe with a twist to it. The addition of green chili, spinach, coriander and mint leaves gives this chicken curry recipe a unique color to it.
Hariyali means Greenery in Hindi, which sits perfectly for this dish with the vibrant green color. Hariyali Chicken is not one of the most famous chicken tikka recipes in India. I wonder why?? Is it because it doesn’t look so good with the orange / red dressing on it. I, for one, however love the look, taste and aroma in it. Tender, juicy, boneless chicken pieces are marinated in the mixture of Yogurt, Spinach and Mint Leaves and grilled in oven and served hot with Indian breads and Mint Chutney.
Hariyali Chicken Curry recipe or the Murgh Hariyali is a curry version of the same, which tastes just as awesome. You can always reduce the amount of green chili in it if you prefer it little bit less spicy. Generally the Hariyalu Chicken curry recipe or the murgh hariyali masala is made only with coriander and mint leaves, but I love to add spinach too in it for added health benefits and sometimes even add the methi / fenugreek leaves too. You can grill the chicken pieces if you have that option with you. But if not, even just baking the chicken pieces will be just as fine. Or you can totally skip the grilling / baking part if you are short on time and just go ahead with cooking it with the green masala.
To be absolutely honest, I had been making this recipe on a whim ever since long, and didn’t ever bother to look at what is “officially” known as. It was only after I had finished the shoot for this particular dish that I had to go and look for an apt name to share and was pleasantly surprised to find that there are lot of similar recipes with the name Hariyali Chicken Curry recipe-Murgh Hariyali Masala. And hence I have officially made the Hariyali Chicken Curry recipe-Murgh Hariyali.
Let’s get started with the Hariyali Chicken Curry recipe-Murgh Hariyali Masala
Hariyali Chicken Curry recipe-Murgh Hariyali Masala
What You Need:
- 250 gms boneless chicken
- 1 tbsp lemon juice / nimbu
- 3 tsp green chilli paste / hari mirch paste
- 2 tbsp mint leaves / pudina
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves / cilantro / hara dhaniya
- 1 cup spinach / palak
- salt to taste
- 1 medium sized onion / pyaz, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic / lehsun, chopped
- 2 tsp ginger / adrak paste
- 4 tbsp butter / makhan
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup fresh cream, Optional
How To Make:
- Cut chicken into one inch pieces and add the lemon juice, green chilli paste and salt, mix well and keep aside.
- Blend the coriander leaves, mint leaves and spinach into a paste and add this to the chicken pieces. Marinate this for at least 1 hour.
- Grill or bake this chicken pieces lightly at 180 C for about 20 minutes. (reserve any leftover paste to use it later in the curry). Or optionally, omit this step and proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Heat butter in a pan, fry onions till translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add garam masala, salt and the chicken pieces and mix well. (Add any reserved leftover paste from the marinate now).
- Add the fresh cream and stir gently.
- Remove from the flame. Serve hot with Nan or Rice.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post
For more such recipes try out the following