السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Gujarati dal recipe, how to make gujarati dal. A simple and easy preparation of dal from the gujarati cuisine, it is a little sour and little sweet, and will be a perfect accompaniment for both your rice and roti.
Part of the everyday meals, this Gujarati Dal is perfect for kids too. I, first, had this dal preparation at a famous gujarati restaurant near my home. This restaurant is nothing fancy, and there is no air about it. It is pretty small for Dubai standards but you will always find it full and people would be waiting outside to find a place to dine. I was always intrigued about why this humble looking place is such a hit until I had the opportunity to find it out myself. The Gujarati thali was the most popular and we ordered the same. The Thali was served pretty soon and we were off to a delicious start. The way they served was so amazing as though you would serve your guests at home. The hospitality was amazing. And the Gujarati Dal recipe was simply amazing.. I literally drank it off. It was so simple and yet so different from what I make at home. I tried it at home and was totally in love with the Gujarati Dal recipe.
There was a little bit of sweetness to the dal and hence I added tiny bit of jaggery as we are not used to adding it in our home, but still I wanted to stay true to it and did add in tiny amount. If you like more sweetness you can add more of jaggery if you wish but for me just a little less than 1/2 teaspoon of jaggery works perfect. It was definitely a hit at my home and still one of the most popular variety that is preferred in my home.
Let’s get started with the Gujarati dal recipe, how to make gujarati dal
Gujarati dal recipe, how to make gujarati dal
- 1 cup split pigeon peas / toor dal
- 2 to matoes finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 sprig of curry leaf
- 1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds optional
- 1 small onion finely sliced
- 1 tsp ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp jaggery grated
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves / cilantro
- Wash and soak the dal for at least 2 hours.
- Boil the dal with tomatoes in pressure cooker for 3 - 4 whistles or till done.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool before opening the lid. Mash it with the wooden dal masher or the hand blender till done.
- Add water according to your preference to the dal. Mix in salt, jaggery, lemon juice and coriander leaves and bring it a boil. (You can add more water for rice and little less for roti)
- Heat ghee in a kadai and add the mustard seeds.
- When they start spluttering add onion, cumin seeds, curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, ginger, garlic and turmeric and fry till the onion is golden brown in color.
- Add this tempering to the dal and serve hot.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
For more such recipes try out the following