Peas Pulao recipe with step by step photos and video instructions is also known as Matar Pulao. If you are bored with eating plain rice, try this great alternative. One of the easiest pulao recipes that we can just make in a jiffy. The Green peas pulao recipe is loved by adults and kids alike. You can serve this with punjabi dal, mix dal tadka, dal tadka or any other gravy or curry.
What is matar pulao?
Matar pulao or the Green peas pulao is a type of rice preparation made with green peas. Garam masala and onion is fried in oil or ghee and cooked with peas before adding the rice.
Can you use frozen peas?
Yes, of course, you can use frozen peas for making this dish.
How to make peas pulao in a pressure cooker?
You can cook this matar pulao recipe in the pressure cooker or rice cooker. Instead of adding the cooked rice, you can cook the rice in the pressure cooker. After frying the onions and spices, add matar, rice, and water. For 1 cup of water, add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Allow the steam to cool and fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
How to make muttar pulao in a microwave?
What can be served with matar pulao?
Pro Tips / Important things to remember while making the peas pulao recipe
Step By Step Pictorial Process for making the Peas Pulao recipe
1. Heat oil or ghee in a pan and add the whole garam masala and the sliced onions.
2. Fry till the onions turn golden brown in color. Add the salt, turmeric powder and green peas.
3. Add just enough water to cook the peas. Cook covered until done. (If you are using the frozen peas, you can omit this step)
4. Cook until the green peas are thoroughly cooked.
5. Next, add the cooked rice to the matar masala. (You can also cook the rice in this masala. Add the soaked rice to the masala. For 1 cup of rice, add 2 cups of rice and cook until the rice is done)
6. Mix the rice well with the masala to evenly coat. Serve hot.
Serve the peas pulao hot.
You can serve it with any kind of dal or curry.
More rice recipes:
How to make green peas pulao recipe or the matar pulao recipe
Green Peas Pulao Recipe, Matar Pulao Recipe
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 2 cups rice, cooked (check notes if you want to cook the rice together)
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- garam masala, cinnamon, shahi jeera, cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf etc.)
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
How To Make:
- Heat oil and add garam masala and onions. Fry until the onion turns golden brown in color.
- Add peas, turmeric powder and salt. Give it a quick stir. Next, add sufficient water and cook until the peas are done.
- Add the cooked rice.
- Mix well to evenly coat the rice with the masala. Your matar pulao is ready to serve.
- If you want to cook rice along with the masala then add rice along with peas and for every 1 cup of rice, add 2 cups of water. Cook on high heat till water evaporates and lower the heat to cook further 10 minutes.
- You can add garam masala powder for enhanced taste and flavor.
- Frozen peas can be used instead of fresh peas.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in March 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. New Image, Step by Step Photos and Video has been added in December 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.