Green Coconut Chutney with step by step photos and video instructions is another delicious chutney that can be served with idli or dosa. As I promised yesterday when I posted the Beetroot Chutney, here I am with this green coconut chutney.
What is green coconut chutney?
It is nothing but a type of chutney that is made with coconut and coriander leaves. Since the chutney is green in color due to the presence of the coriander leaves in it, it is called as green coconut chutney.
How do you make the south indian green chutney for dosa, idli?
It is very easy to make this chutney. Just heat the oil and fry the dals. Then add the tamarind and coriander leaves. Grind them along with coconut, garlic and green chili to make a paste before adding the tempering to it.
What are the ingredients needed for making the green chutney with coconut?
First, we will start with heat the oil and fry the chana dal and urad dal till golden brown in color. Next, we will add the tamarind and coriander leaves and fry for a minute. Allow these ingredients to cool and grind them along with coconut, garlic, green chili, and salt. Finally, we will prepare a tadka in oil with mustard seeds, red chili & curry leaves. Pour over these tempering to the prepared chutney.
Pro Tips / Important Points to remember while making this green coconut chutney recipe
Step by Step Pictorial process of making the green coconut chutney recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the chana dal and ural dal. Fry until the dal turns golden brown in color.
2. Next, clean the tamarind thoroughly and add it to the fried dal. Throw in the coriander leaves too. Fry for a minute until the leaves lightly change the color.
3. Allow to cool and transfer to a mixie jar.
4. Add in rest of the ingredients like the coconut, green chili, garlic and salt.
5. Grind to make a paste using necessary water.
6. Prepare tempering by heat oil and spluttering mustard seeds in it. Once the mustard seeds start spluttering add the red chili and curry leaves. Pour over this tempering to the ground paste and serve immediately
Serve the coconut chutney immediately.
For more similar recipes see
Let’s learn how to make the Green Coconut Chutney for idli, dosa
Green Coconut Chutney for Idli, Dosa
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 1 tsp oil
- bunch of coriander leaves
- 2 tsp urad dal
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- 2 tsp chana dal
- 1 cup coconut
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 green chilies
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 whole red chili
- few curry leaves
How To Make:
Grinding the green coconut chutney
- Heat oil in a pan and add the urad dal and chana dal till golden brown. Add the tamarind and coriander leaves and fry for a minute or till the coriander leaves changes it's color.
- Allow to cool and add them to a mixie jar. Add the coconut, garlic, green chili, and salt. Make a smooth paste using water as necessary. Set aside this coconut chutney.
Preparing the tempering
- Heat oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add the red chili and curry leaves. Remove from fire.
- Pour this tempering over the ground coconut paste. Serve with idli, medhu vada, upma or dosa.
- Always use fresh coconut for making this chutney.
- Clean the tamarind thoroughly of any seeds or impurities before adding them to the chutney.
- As we are adding coconut in it, this chutney tends to spoil very fast. So serve immediately at room temperature or refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in October 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. New Image, step by step photos and video has been added in December of 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.