السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Gobi Stir Fry recipe or in other words cauliflower stir fry recipe is a very popular recipe of India. Almost all households in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh make this Gobi or cauliflower in their own version.
And my home is no different. The gobi or the cauliflower is a favorite in our household too. Naturally, it’s not very surprising that I make some form of cauliflower dish as often as possible.
Mostly I just make this gobi stir fry recipe or the gobi methi.
Another wonderful variation of this gobi stir fry recipe is making the gobi with the potatoes/aloo. I simply love the potatoes with the cauliflower.
This is my take on making one of the many variations of the much loved cauliflower. I use very minimal spices in this recipe and cook on very low heat without adding water.
The cauliflower gets cooked with the steam that gives this dish it’s distinct taste and flavor. There is no need to add a lot of oil too. It gets cooked with very little amount of oil and yet just tastes so amazing.
This stir fry version of gobi tastes great with chapatis, phulkas and even bread or with simply plain rice and some dal. It also tastes good as a side veggie dish with jeera rice and some bengali dal. Pack this gobi stir fry recipe with some chapati in the tiffin box to get the tiffin box empty in the evening.
let’s get started with the step by step gobi stir fry recipe
This first step is purely optional and only if you get cauliflower which has insects in them. As I live in Dubai, I hardly get insects in the cauliflower.
Most of the time, I simply break and cut the cauliflower in small pieces. But if you live in India or any other place where we get insects in cauliflowers, simply follow this method to get rid of them.
Cut the cauliflowers into small floret and rinse them thoroughly. Then blanch the florets in hot salted water for about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain them and set them keep aside. Now the cauliflower is ready to use.
Gobi Stir Fry Dry Recipe-Cauliflower Stir Fry-How to make gobi fry
- 1 medium sized cauliflower/phool gobi about 500 grams
- 2 medium sized onions about 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- few curry leaves
- 2 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 2 or 3 whole dry red chili
- 6 to 7 medium sized garlic cloves finely chopped or minced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- some chopped mint or coriander leaves for garnish
- This first step is purely optional and only if you get cauliflower which has insects in them. Simply follow this method to get rid of them. Cut the cauliflowers into small floret and rinse them thoroughly. Then blanch the florets in hot salted water for about 5 to 10 minutes. Drain them and set them aside. Now the cauliflower is ready to use.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begin to crackle add the cumin seeds, curry leaves, garlic and whole dry red chili. Fry for about a minute.
- Now add the onion and cook till the onions turn translucent. Now add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and the cauliflower. Add the salt to taste. Lower the flame and close the lid.
- Allow the cauliflower to cook on simmer and keep stirring it from time to time to prevent it from getting burnt at the bottom.
- Switch off the flame when the cauliflower is cooked about 15-20 minutes. Serve hot with chapati, nan, rice or jeera rice.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
For more similar recipes see Tomato Paneer Recipe-How to make tomato paneer recipe SPICY GARLIC BHINDI -HOW TO MAKE SPICY GARLIC BHINDI Karela Masala Recipe-Karele ki Sabzi Aloo Matar Dry Recipe-How to make dry aloo matar recipe