Garlic Rasam Recipe or the Poondu rasam as it’s known in Tamil with step by step photo and video instructions is a delicious tamarind soup made with garlic. With freshly ground spices, just like the tomato rasam, this rasam variety is very, very tasty with the bits of garlic melting in the mouth.
This is a very delicious rasam recipe. With an abundance of health benefits in garlic, this garlic rasam recipe should definitely part of our diet regularly.
You must have heard about various health benefit from various people that garlic is good for this, garlic is good for that, and most of it will be true too. It is one of the super foods, that one should definitely eat it. Garlic is known as poondu in tamil and hence the title of the dish and is pretty popular in Chennai and whole of Tamil Nadu.
What is garlic rasam?
This garlic rasam recipe is made with the freshly crushed garlic. I have used the small organic garlic as it gives out more strong flavor than the big variety. Garlic is a very integral part of Tamil cuisine and you will find a lot of homes in Tamil Nadu using garlic in various dishes.
When you crush it, you would feel that strong aroma coming out of the garlic. I love the garlic a lot and love the smell of it. I love to add the garlic powder to corn and have it. So this garlic rasam recipe is definitely my personal favorite.
How to make the Poondu Rasam or the Garlic rasam recipe?
We first roast the cumin seeds, methi seeds, black pepper, and whole dry red chili and grind it into a fine powder. Then lightly fry the chopped garlic. Then finally tempering it and adding the tamarind juice.
Pro tips / important things to remember while making the poondu rasam
Step by step Pictorial of making the garlic rasam recipe
- Take the whole spices in a pan and dry roast till a nice aroma emanates from them. Once the spices are roasted, allow them to cool down.
2. Once the spices have cooled, take them in a mixie jar. Run until they have powdered coarsely.
3. Next, heat oil in a pan and add the chopped garlic. You can either chop them finely or crush the garlic. Fry until golden brown in color. Once the garlic has browned, remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. In the same oil add the mustard seeds until they start spluttering. Add in the curry leaves and green chili. Fry for a minute.
5. Add salt, turmeric powder and tamarind water. Bring to a boil. Now, add the fried garlic and the ground spice powder.
6. Simmer until it turns frothy. Switch off the heat and serve hot.
Serve the garlic rasam hot.
You can serve the poondu rasam with plain hot rice and any side dish.
More similar recipes:
Let’s get started with the garlic rasam recipe or the poondu rasam, Tamil Style
Garlic Rasam Recipe, Poondu rasam, Tamil Style
- 15 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 3 whole dry red chili
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 1 tsp methi seeds
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Take a pan and lightly roast the 2 whole dry red chili, cumin seeds, black pepper corns and methi seeds till a nice aroma emanates from it. Allow it to cool and grind to a powder in a dry mixer or coffee grinder.
- Heat oil and fry the garlic till lightly brown. Remove the garlic from the pan and set aside.
- In the same oil, add the mustard seeds till they splutter.
- Add the remaining whole red chili and curry leaves.
- Mix water to tamarind paste and turmeric and mix till well dissolved.
- Add this to the tempering and add 4 cups of water. Bring it to a boil
- Now add the ground powder and fried garlic. Simmer till foam starts forming on top and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with some rice and papad.
- You can use lemon juice instead of tamarind.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in August of 2016. Step by step photos and video have been added for better understanding. The recipe has been made printable in November 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.