السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Garelu Recipe is a very popular dish from South India with different names in different regions. It is made of urad dal which is ground and spices are added before frying in hot oil in the shape of a donut.
South Indian food is widely popular not just in India but also in the rest of the world. The Idli, Dosa, Masala Vada are just so globally famous that you would find a South Indian restaurant anywhere. The Garelu recipe is another of the hugely popular South Indian breakfast. Ok. Now just breakfast, eat it as a snack or as a dinner, it is just perfect any time of the day.It is round shaped recipe just like donut, made with Black Split Lentil or the Urad Dal as it is called in Hindi.
The Garelu recipe is a slightly different version from it’s Tamil counterpart, the Medu Vada. Garelu is a Telugu cousin of the Medu Vadai. Though, those who are new to this recipe, will hardly be able to tell any difference, but the ingredients differ very lightly in both. Sometimes both the recipe names are used interchangeably too. I maybe wrong, but according to my husband, Garelu recipe should have more onions than the Medu Vada, which doesn’t contain any onions. And there is no black pepper added in this, but if you have ever been to Chennai and ordered the Medu Vada, you will find the delicious flavor of black pepper in your mouth when you bite into it. Well, whatever is the name, both taste awesomely well.
Please follow the instructions to make the batter carefully and you will definitely end up with the most crispy on the outside and the soft, fluffy on the inside Garelus. If you don’t own a stone grinder like me, (the ones that were a household must in every Indian home), then use the food processor for grinding the dal. I have tried to make the Garelu recipe in the mixie umpteen number of times, but was never satisfied with the results that the food processor gives. And after the grinding is done, beat the dough well with your hand for the soft and fluffy Garelu recipe.
Serve the Garelu recipe with some amazing coconut chutney and you will be all set for a good and tasty meal. Or if you like dip it in sambar and relish it.
Let’s get started with the Garelu Recipe, How to make Garelu recipe
Garelu recipe, How to make Garelu
What You Need:
- 2 cup urad dal / black split lentil
- 3 medium sized onion, finely sliced
- 2-3 green chili / hari mirch, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger / adrak, finely chopped
- 5-6 curry leaves / kadi patta, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves / cilnatro / hara dhaniya, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- pinch of baking soda
- oil for deep frying
How To Make:
- Wash and soak the urad dal for at least 2 hours.
- Drain the water from the soaked dal and then blend it in a grinder or food processor till a slightly coarse paste. It should not be very coarse too. Just how you would feel the semolina consistency. (You can make it smooth and fluffy paste if you like it that way.)
- Do not add too much water while blending the dal. If required just sprinkle some water.
- Transfer this paste to a large bowl and beat it well with your hand to create the aeration.
- Next add in the sliced onion, green chili, baking soda, chopped ginger, chopped curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves, salt and mix well.
- Heat oil. Press the garelu paste into a round disc, and make a small hole in the middle like a donut. You can skip making a hole too. (For easier working, dip your hand in water before taking the paste from the bowl, the garelu slips easily into the oil)
- Slide the prepared discs directly into the hot oil and cook on medium heat till golden brown in color. Serve hot with some coconut chutney or sambar.
If you make the batter too thick, then the garelu recipe will be hard on the inside. If you drop a bit of batter from the spoon, it should not fall down. This is the way to work your perfect consistency.
Signing off until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
For more such easy recipes try out the following