Fish Masala Recipe is another of the seafood variety that is made in Pakistani Style. The fish is first fried with spices before dropping in the masala.
I learnt this recipe long back. It was when I just landed in Dubai for the first time. Having different nationalities as neighbors, it was only natural that it would have a lot of impact on my cooking style.
Learning this Fish Masala recipe in Pakistani style was totally new to me. To think that we can add yogurt to fish was incredible. Ever since that I can remember, we have always been advised NOT TO EAT yogurt with fish. Dairy was totally banned with fish. I have no clue what was the reason behind that. But that is how it was in our part of the world.
So you can only imagine my reaction when I saw the fish COOKED IN YOGURT. My eyes totally popped out when I first saw the fish being marinated with yogurt. I was totally hesitant whether it would be a good idea to try something which we weren’t accustomed to.
But being the adventurous person that I am, I did give this fish masala recipe, pakistani style a try. I must say that I am so glad that I did cook it. Because, this has become the favorite way that my hubby dearest enjoys his fish. Though I prefer more to make the Fish Fry Masala recipe or the Fish Tikka Masala. For him, the Fish Masala Recipe, Pakistani Style tops the list.
We would marinate the fish in spice based yogurt for a short time. Then fry them up, before adding to the prepared masala. All this process definitely enhances the taste of the fish masala recipe, pakistani style to altogether another level.
If, like me, you have never cooked the fish with yogurt. Definitely give it a try, you will surely not be disappointed. You will soon start loving this way of making the fish.
You can burn a coal, place it on a foil after cooking the fish and drop a bit of oil on the burning coal. Now close the lid and allow the smoke to totally engulf the pan. After a few minutes you can remove the foil and the coal and enjoy a very good smokey flavor fish masala recipe.
I like to add this way of adding the smokey flavor to most of my non veg dishes. It gives a good flavor to any dish.
Let’s get started with the Fish Masala Recipe, Pakistani Style, Machli Masala
Fish Masala Recipe, Pakistani Style, Machli Masala
For the Marination
- 500 gms boneless fish any variety, but should be a fillet, deboned
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp yogurt
- oil for frying
For the Masala
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 green chili slit in the middle
- 2 onions made into paste
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 to matoes made into puree
- 1 tsp red chili powder or to taste
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk optional
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Mix the fish with ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt and yogurt. Marinate this for half an hour in the fridge.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the fishes till lightly brown.
- Heat the 2 tbsp oil in a pan add the green chili.
- Add the onion paste and cook till it has changed the color to golden brown. Be careful as to not burn the onion. Once the paste changes it's color, it will quickly start burning.
- Next throw in the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell from the ginger garlic paste has vanished.
- Next add in the tomato puree, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and cook on low heat. Cook till oil starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Finally add in the fried fish pieces and mix till all the masala is coated to the fish. Be extra careful while mixing as the fish will break very easily if handled roughly. Be extra gentle.
- Finally add coconut milk and adjust the consistency of the masala. Do not add any water if you want a thick version. Just cook till the coconut milk has been absorbed into the fish. Add little water and cook till it comes to a boil and remove from heat.
- Lastly, add the coriander leaves to garnish the fish masala recipe.
Signing off until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com. Appreciate your help.