Feathered Chain Stitch is another variation of the chain stitch family. It is a combination of the chain stitch and the zig-zag stitch. It can be a great border design with embellishments.
What you will need?
- Any fabric.
- Embroidery hoop, 15cm (6″) (Bigger if you are working on a larger design) ( You can purchase a set of 6 hoops from Amazon for your basic needs.)
- Tapestry needle
- Embroidery thread (You can buy this pack of 36 shades of the DMC embroidery floss.)
How many strands of floss do you need for making the Feathered Chain Stitch?
You can use all 6 strands of the floss. But if you are working on a finer design, then start with 2 strands of floss and increase the number of strands according to your design. I have used all 6 strands of floss for this design.
Step by Step Pictorial Process of making the Feather Chain Stitch
1. Start by working a chain stitch on line 1 to line 2.
2. A chain stitch will form.
3. Loop the floss around the needle as shown in the above picture. Insert the needle from line 3 to line 2 from point C to point D in a zigzag pattern to make a chain stitch again.
3. Loop the thread around the needle and continue making zigzag patterns for the rest of the pattern.
4. End the design by taking the needle below the fabric and securing it with a knot.
Tips for working the Feather Chain Stitch
- Use water-soluble ink as the stitches won’t cover the lines.
- Knowing the chain stitch will make this stitch easy.
What is this stitch used for?
- This stitch can be used as a border decorative stitch on a motif or dress.
(THIS POST PROBABLY CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY IS REALLY BORING, BUT YOU CAN FIND IT HERE)
More stitches tutorials:
- Stem Stitch
- Chain Stitch
- Running Stitch
- French Knot
- Lazy Daisy
- Back Stitch
- Cable Chain Stitch
- Fly Stitch
- Bullion Knot
- Woven Trellis Stitch
- Long And Short Stitch
Check out the video tutorial below
So until next time,
Pin this image for later reference: