Feather Stitch is an awesome hand embroidery stitch that is so easy to work. This stitch is really awesome for making stems and any kind of borders. It is so simple and yet looks elegant.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED?
- Any fabric.
- Embroidery hoop, 15cm (6″) (Bigger if you are working on a larger design) ( You can purchase a set of 6 hoops from Amazon for your basic needs.)
- Tapestry needle
- Embroidery thread (You can buy this pack of 36 shades of the DMC embroidery floss.)
How many strands of floss do you need for making the feather stitch?
You can use all 6 strands of the floss. But if you are looking for finer design, then start with 2 strands of floss and increase the number of strands according to your design.
Step by Step Pictorial Process of making the feather stitch.
1. Take the needle out at point A on line 2 from beneath the fabric. Pull the thread up and insert at point B on line 4 and push through at point C on line 3
2. Keep the thread beneath the needle and pull the thread up. Again insert the thread at point D on the other side of the stitch. Bring it out at point E. Work in a similar fashion for the rest of the design.
3. Finally, you can end the design by bringing the thread down outside of the stitch and secure the thread beneath the fabric.
Tips for working the feather stitch
- Drawing 4 lines will help to make this stitch easily.
- Do not pull the thread too tightly.
- This is straight feather stitch. You can make the stitch at point C diagonal to point A and B for the diagonal feather stitch too.
WHAT IS THIS FEATHER STITCH USED FOR?
- Beautiful borders can be made along the edges of a dress.
- Generally, stems, vines, and branches can be made with this stitch.
- You can also make a french knot or bullion knot at the edge of the feather stitch for making a beautiful plant with flowers.
- This stitch works great on quilt and blanket too.
More stitches tutorials:
Check out the video tutorial below
So until next time,
Pin this image for later reference: