Egg Dum Biryani recipe, with step by step photos and video instructions, is a very tasty and easy biryani preparation that gets ready in a jiffy. You will be amazed at how easy and how tasty this recipe is. Try more egg recipes like egg korma, Chettinad Egg Curry, etc on the blog.
I am pretty sure that once you try this recipe, you will surely leave a comment for me. You will surely be blown away by it’s simplicity and taste.
This Egg Dum Biryani Recipe is a very versatile and super yummy dish. I always love making the egg recipes as they are pretty easy and quick to make.
How can I make egg biryani?
It is pretty easy to make the egg dum biryani recipe. All you have to do is prepare the biryani masala first. Unlike other biryani masalas, this is a wet masala. Roast the dry spices then grind them along with other wet ingredients.
Unlike the mutton or chicken biryani, the egg biryani gets ready pretty quick. You do not have to wait for long hours for the meat to get tender.
All you have to do is make a basic gravy while your egg gets boiled. Add in the parboiled rice before adding it to the prepared gravy. Seal it with aluminum foil or chapati dough and then wait for it to get cooked before serving.
What kind of eggs to use for the egg dum biryani?
You can even use the country egg for best results. But if it is difficult to get them, then you can always use the normal eggs that you get easily.
What are the ingredients needed for making the biryani masala?
- Eggs: You can either use normal eggs or the country eggs for this biryani
- Basmati Rice: I prefer to use India Gate Classic Basmati rice for biryani. But you can also use other brands of basmati rice for making this recipe
- Biryani Masala: This recipe calls for preparing fresh biryani masala. Dry roasting the spices and then grinding with other wet ingredients before using it in the biryani.
- Onions: The onions are a very important part of making the egg dum biryani. They are fried till golden brown and then use in two parts. Check out the recipe instructions and video.
How do you cook basmati rice for biryani?
Firstly, you need to soak the basmati rice for half an hour for best results. Then boil the water along with spices and oil. Add the soaked rice and cook until 70%. The rice will be still grainy.
Pro Tips / Important Things to remember while making this dish.
Step by Step Pictorial of making the egg dum biryani
- First, start by preparing the biryani masala paste by dry roasting the ingredients. To the dry ingredients, add the ginger and garlic in a mixie jar.
2. Grind to make a coarse paste of this masala. Set aside this biryani masala.
3. Next, take oil or ghee in a pan and add the onions. Fry till the onions turn golden brown in color. Drain from oil with a slotted spoon and set the onion on a paper towel.
4. In the same pan, add the biryani masala and green chili. Fry for few minutes till the masala is fully cooked and raw smell from the ginger garlic vanishes.
5. Add in the half of the browned onion, yogurt, red chili powder and salt. Mix it well.
6. Cook until the oil starts separating from the masala. Your biryani gravy is ready.
7. Cook the soaked basmati rice as per the instructions in the recipe card and video. Place half the drained rice in large enough pan.
8. Pour the biryani gravy over it.
9. Finally, cover with rest of the rice.
10. This is the procedure for making the eggs. In the same pan, as the gravy was cooked, add the garam masala powder and red chili powder. Fry for a couple on minutes on low heat. Cooking on high heat will spread the hotness from the red chili and you will end up coughing.
11. Once the masala is prepared, place the eggs. Coat the eggs nicely with the masala.
12. Add the coated eggs to the rice, spread a teaspoon of ghee, mint leaves, coriander leaves, rest of the onions. Cook covered until done. Remove the lid and mix gently. Serve hot.
Serve this egg dum biryani with onion raita.
Serve it hot.
More biryani recipes:
- egg biryani recipe
- Hyderabadi Egg biryani recipe
- Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani
- Indian Mutton Biryani
- Indian Chicken Biryani
- Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani
- South Indian Chicken Biryani
How to make Egg Dum Biryani Recipe, Simple Egg Dum Biryani
Egg Dum Biryani Recipe
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 6 boiled eggs, cut into halves
- 500 gms basmati rice
For making the paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 4 cardamom
- 1 tsp shahi jeera
- 4 whole dry red chilli
- 10-12 garlic cloves
- 1 small ginger
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
For the Biryani Gravy
- 5 tbsp oil
- 4 onion, finely sliced
- 2-3 green chilli, cut into half
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
For the Rice
- 2 tsp oil
- whole spices, shahi jeera, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, cloves etc
- salt to taste
For the Biryani
- food coloring or saffron soaked milk
- handful of coriander and mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp ghee
How To Make:
Prepare the Biryani Paste
- Make a paste with the cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, shahi jeera, dry red chilli, garlic, ginger, coriander powder and salt. Set this paste aside.
Preparing Biryani Gravy
- Heat oil and fry the onions till golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and spread on kitchen towel.
- In the same pan, add the green chili and the spice paste. Fry till all the raw smell has vanished from it.
- Add the red chilli powder, yogurt, half of the fried onions and cook till oil starts floating on top.
- Remove the masala from it and in the same pan add 2 tbsp oil, red chilli powder and garam masala powder.
- Place the egg and cook for couple of minutes.
- Take a large vessel and add sufficient water. Add the whole spices, salt and oil.
- Bring the water to boil and add the soaked basmati rice. Parboil till half done. The rice should be still grainy yet cooked. Remove the water by straining over a colander.
- Place half the parboiled rice at the bottom of a heavy bottomed pan.
- Spread the prepared gravy over the rice.
- Spread rest of the rice over the gravy.
- Top with rest of the fried onions, food coloring, eggs, coriander and mint leaves.
- Cover with foil and place a lid. Cook on low heat for 30 minutes. Switch off the heat, wait for 10 more minutes before opening the lid. Mix gently and serve hot with raita.
- For cooking the perfect rice, bring the water to boil and add the soaked rice. Cook till it comes to a boil again. Check the rice, it should break and yet still be grainy.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in September of 2017. Step by step photos and video have been added for better understanding. The recipe has been made printable in November 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.