Easy Chicken Fried rice with step by step photos and video is just what you need to rock your guests with. This Indo-Chinese dish is an easy and delicious recipe that gets ready in no time at all.
how do you make Indian chicken fried rice
It is pretty simple to make this recipe. All you need is some chicken, rice, and veggies. If you are one that makes the Chinese recipes, then you will find rest of the ingredients right in your kitchen. Once you try this easy chicken fried rice recipe, you will never want a takeaway from the restaurant again.
what kind of rice is used for chicken fried rice
Medium to long grain rice works best for preparing the easy chicken fried rice recipe. In this recipe, I have used basmati rice. As the basmati rice is long and thin grained, this is just perfect for making this dish. The basmati rice is typically grown in India and used in most of the biryani dishes.
Can I use regular rice?
Yes, of course, you can. If you do not find the basmati rice, you can use any white rice or even brown rice. You can also make it with the Thai Jasmine Rice.
what kind of oil is best for fried rice?
You can use any vegetable oil, soybean oil or the peanut oil. They have a high smoke point and hence totally safe for making the fried rice. You can also use the sesame oil but if you are not accustomed to it, then the flavor might be overpowering for you.
Can I substitute the vegetables in the fried rice?
Yes, you can use any vegetables that you prefer. You can dice them into small pieces, grate them or even julienne them.
Can I make the chicken fried rice without egg?
Though it tastes best when you add the egg to the dish, you can always omit it. You can always make it with just chicken and the vegetables.
how do you make rice for fried rice
It is pretty easy to make the chicken fried rice.
- If possible, prepare the rice a day before. But if you are short on time, you can place the rice in the freezer till cold. Run the rice under cold water until it runs clear.
- Fry the chicken till golden brown and set aside.
- Next, throw in the veggies and saute them lightly. You can either grate, dice or julienne the veggies.
- Fry the egg next and scramble it well.
- Add in the fried veggies and chicken to the egg, add sauces and toss well.
- Finally, mix the rice and toss well to fully coat the rice.
how can you make the chicken fried rice like the restaurants do
The secret to making the restaurant style chicken fried rice recipe is not in the ingredients itself but the method. Remember to toss the rice well in a large wok. If you cook in a small pan, it will be difficult for the rice to be thoroughly cooked.
And when you try to cook in smaller pans and stir using a spoon, the rice might break and turn mushy. Always make the fried rice on high heat.
Pro Tips / Important Things to remember while making this easy chicken fried rice
- Always use cold rice. If possible, use a day old rice. If you are short on time, just pop the rice in the freezer until cold.
- Place the rice under running water until the water turns clear.
- Cook on high heat.
- Always cook in a large enough wok or pan.
- Do not stir with a ladle and instead toss the rice well.
Step By step pictorial of the easy chicken fried recipe
- Heat oil in an iron wok or non-stick pan. Make sure that the pan is large enough to toss. Add the small chicken pieces, salt, and black pepper powder. Fry till the chicken pieces are golden brown in color. Drain from oil and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the vegetables. Saute on high heat for 2 minutes. Drain from oil and set aside.
- Again, add oil and the beaten egg. Fry and scramble the eggs to small pieces.
- Add the sauteed vegetables, fried chicken pieces, soy sauce and salt. Mix well.
- Next, throw in the cooked cold rice.
- Cook on high heat. Toss well till the sauce is fully coated with the rice. Garnish with spring onion and serve hot.
Serve hot garnished with green part of the spring onion.
Easy Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice cold (Cold rice is not so sticky)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup boneless chicken cut into tiny pieces
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 stalk spring onion
- 1 cup vegetables beans, capsicum, cabbage etc, finely cut
- Break up the lumps in the cooked cold rice (the goal is to try to separate cooked rice into individual grains). Set aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp oil to a large iron wok or non-stick pan. Add the chicken pieces, salt, and black pepper powder. Fry till golden brown. Remove from oil and set aside.
- Then add the vegetables and saute for a couple of minutes. Drain from oil and set aside.
- Next, Pour the remaining oil and beaten egg into the hot wok. Scramble them.
- Before the eggs are completely set, put in the chicken and sauteed vegetables. Add soy sauce and adjust the salt.
- Mix well and add the cooked rice.
- Toss and turn the rice very quickly in the pan or wok.
- When you see some the rice grains jumping up and down in the wok, your delicious easy chicken fried rice is ready. Garnish with spring onion and serve hot.
- You can add in any vegetable that you like. Dice, julienne or grate them.
- Omit egg or add in more chicken.
- You can also use chicken broth while cooking the rice for enhanced flavor.
- Always use cold rice. Hot rice will turn mushy and soggy.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in March 2015. New, Image, Step by step photos and video have been added for better understanding for the readers. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.