Easy Chana Masala recipe is so simple and delicious that you will keep making it again and again. It goes perfectly well with poori, roti or rice. All you have to do is soak the chana and rest is just so easy to make.
This is one of the most versatile dishes in India. You would find the chana masala recipe used in various dishes like making it along with bathura or samosa and in many other dishes. Along with the health benefits that come with the chickpeas, the taste is just so awesome.
What is Chana Masala?
Chana masala recipe is nothing but a curry made with chickpeas. The soaked chickpeas are boiled and then cooked with onion tomato masala. You can either buy the store bought chana masala or make it at home.
What is in the chana masala powder mix?
The chana masala powder mix is made by using the following ingredients.
- coriander powder
- ginger powder
- red chili powder
- garam masala powder
- pomegranate seed powder
- turmeric powder
- cumin powder
- asafoetida or hing
You can either dry roast the whole seeds separately, and make into a fine powder or simply mix the powders together. You can prepare this spice mix in bulk and store for months in an airtight container.
How to prepare the chickpeas for making the easy chana masala recipe?
Soak chana before making the dish for the perfect soft chana masala recipe. You can also make this with the readymade canned chickpeas. But to avoid all kind of preservatives that go into such products, always try to use the homemade versions.
How long do you need to soak the chana?
Soak the chickpeas overnight for best results or at least for 8 to 10 hours before cooking. The chickpeas take a long time to soak, so leave them overnight in sufficient water in a large enough vessel.
How to boil the chana or chickpeas?
Boil the soaked chana or chickpeas in a pressure cooker for 8-9 whistles. Add a tea bag and baking soda while boiling the chickpeas which makes it soft and gives a good color to the chana masala recipe.
Is Chana Masala a vegan dish?
Yes, this easy chana masala recipe is a vegan dish hands down.
Is Chana healthy?
Like other legumes, the chickpeas are a healthy alternative even when you are on a diet or otherwise. It is rich in fiber, high in protein, and low in fat content. There is no reason why you should stay away from this healthy food from your diet.
Pro Tips / Important points to remember while making the chana masala recipe
Step by Step Pictorial Process of making the Easy Chana Masala recipe
1. First, start with preparing the chickpeas. Soak the chickpeas in sufficient water overnight. Drain the water and add the chana to the pressure cooker with sufficient fresh water. Cook until the chana is soft or for about 8 to 10 whistles. Set aside this chana while you prepare the masala.
2. Heat oil in a kadai and add the onion.
3. Fry till the onion turns translucent and add the ginger garlic paste and green chili. Fry till the raw smell vanishes from the ginger garlic paste.
4. Add the tomato and fry till the tomato softens.
5. Now, add the boiled chana.
6. Finally add the chana masala powder, salt and a glass of water.
7. Bring to a boil and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
Serve this chana masala recipe hot.
You can serve it with rice, roti or poori. It tastes good with anything.
This dish can also be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
More vegetarian recipes:
How to make the easy chana masala recipe
Easy Chana Masala Recipe
- 2 cups chickpeas soaked
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 green chili slit
- 2 onions finely sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- salt to taste
For the chana masala spice mix
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp pomegranate seed powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida/hing
Making chana masala spice mix
- Mix together all the ingredients under the spice mix and set aside.
Preparing the chickpeas
- Boil the chana/chickpeas in a pressure cooker for at least 8-9 whistles or till they are soft. (You can add a tea bag and baking soda while boiling the chickpeas/chana which makes it soft and gives it a good color)
Preparing Chana masala recipe
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions till lightly brown.
- Add the green chili, ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add in the chopped tomato and cook till tender.
- Mix in the boiled chickpeas/chana, salt and the chana masala spice mix and stir gently.
- Add a cup of water and cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes and serve the chana masala hot garnished with coriander leaves.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in September 2015. It has been retested and updated with step by step photos and video. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily in December 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.