Dry Chilli Chicken Recipe with step by step pictures and video is a restaurant style chicken recipe made in an Indo-Chinese style. Boneless chicken pieces fried and then saute again with onion and capsicum, this dish is truly a show stopper when served with chicken fried rice.
Indo – Chinese recipes are pretty interesting. The Chinese recipes are given an Indian touch with some additional spices. Chinese flavors are added like the soy sauce and Ajinomoto.
You will find this recipe served at almost all Indian restaurants. It is a very, very popular side dish that would be served with the Indo – Chinese menu. You will even find this at the roadside eateries in India that sell this type of food.
What is chilli chicken
This dry chilli chicken recipe is an easy melt in the mouth recipe. It is made with a lot of chilies as the name suggests. The black pepper, red chili powder, and green chili are all added to this dish. Chicken is first coated with spices and deep fried. Then the base for chilli chicken is prepared with diced onion and green bell pepper.
This is one of the dishes that are easy to cook and tastes delicious.
How to make crispy chilli chicken
The secret to making the crispy chilli chicken is the way the chicken is fried. Remember to always to cook the dish on high heat and not on low flame. If you cook on low flame, it might leave moisture and make it soggy. Always serve hot.
You can also add egg white to the chicken pieces for extra crispiness. And always remember to drain water well from the chicken pieces.
Best cut of chicken for making this recipe
You can make this dry chilli chicken recipe with any cut of the boneless chicken. It tastes best with the boneless chicken thigh pieces but also great with the breast pieces. So it is all about your family’s preference.
You can serve the dry chilli chicken with chicken fried rice, veg fried rice or even egg fried rice. This can also be served as a side along with chicken manchurian gravy.
You can serve it as a side, entre or even as the main course. Serve it at lunch or dinner.
Important things to remember while making the dry chilli chicken recipe
- Though there is no need for any marination, you can marinate 2 hours or overnight for best results.
- Fry the chicken pieces till nice golden brown.
- You can also bake the chicken pieces till golden and use less oil for preparing the base for a healthy option.
- Reduce the amount of oil while preparing the base if you prefer.
- Cook the base of onion and pepper on high heat for retaining the crunchiness.
- After adding the cornflour water, stir well to prevent lumps.
- Serve immediately for best flavor and taste.
Step by step pictorial of the dry chilli chicken recipe
- Add the ingredients for frying the chicken to the chicken pieces in a bowl.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the chicken pieces till golden brown.
- In the same pan, take sufficient oil and fry the ginger garlic.
- Saute diced capsicum and onion. Add the soy sauce and green chili paste. Mix well.
- Add the fried chicken pieces. Saute on high heat. Add the cornflour water and stir well.
- Garnish with green spring onions and serve hot.
Let’s get started with the Dry Chilli Chicken Recipe, How to make Chilli Chicken
Dry Chilli Chicken Recipe, How to make Chilli Chicken
- 500 gms boneless chicken cubed
Ingredients for frying the chicken pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- oil for frying
Ingredients for preparing base
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 2 medium sized onions diced
- 1 green capsicum cut into squares
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp green chili sauce
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp corn flour mixed in water
- 1 spring onion only the green part
Frying chicken pieces
- Take a bowl and place the chicken pieces. Add the black pepper powder, red chili powder, ginger garlic paste, all purpose flour, and salt. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the chicken pieces till they turn golden brown. Drain from oil and set aside on a paper towel.
Preparing dry chilli chicken
- Heat 2 tbsp oil (you can use the same oil, which is used for frying chicken pieces) in the same pan on a high heat.
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic. Fry till the raw smell vanishes from it. Add diced onion, capsicum and cook on high heat for a couple of minutes.
- When the onion becomes translucent and little crisp, add the soy sauce and green chili sauce.
- Add fried chicken pieces. Mix well. Adjust salt if required.
- Next, mix the cornflour with some water to make a thick paste. Add this and spring onion and quickly stir the chicken. The corn flour thickens fast and if you don't stir fast enough, it will turn soggy.
- Serve hot immediately.
- Always serve immediately for best taste and flavor.
- You can also use egg white while mixing the ingredients for frying for extra crispiness.
- When you add corn flour, stir quickly as it thickens fast and might form lumps.
- Be careful while adding salt as soy sauce is salty too.
- You can make a healthier version of the same by baking the chicken pieces and adding less oil while making the base
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in August 2016. Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.
Leave a Reply