Diwani Handi recipe – Mix Vegetable Sabzi Recipe is as the name suggests itself a mixture of different vegetables. You can add in any vegetables of your choice.
The mix vegetable sabzi is commonly called as Diwani Handi recipe in Hyderabad and I have no clue whatsoever why is it called so. I think it is time to call up my fam in Hyderabad and check with them the reasons for it’s name. And I am sure every one will have a different version of their story. The name Diwani Handi definitely amuses me no end. I can understand the word “handi” as it is typically prepared in a handi or an earthern pot. But why the word “diwani”. Maybe it has to do with the word “Diwan” or minister in olden days and has to do something with the royal dishes of Nizam. If any of you know the reason behind the name of this Hyderabadi Diwani Handi recipe, enlighten me too.
When you have lots of mixed vegetables but not enough to make the dish individually you can try out this veg diwani handi recipe. Serve it with hot nan or roti and it will be perfect for a cold, rainy day. You can even add some par boiled rice and make Vegetable Dum Biryani out of it. I use same method for making the easier version of the veg dum biryani which I will be sharing shortly on my blog. I always make little extra so that I can serve the sabzi with chapati, nan or even bread. It tastes fabulous with anything.
The hyderabadi veg diwani handi recipe is a curry which is prepared traditionally with mild spices and rich cashew nut gravy. The creamy texture and the excellent aroma of the veg diwani handi make it a treat for your taste buds. I have omitted the cashew nut and instead added yogurt as I wanted to prepare biryani as well with it. But you can some cashew nut paste instead of yogurt or even mix the cashew paste along with yogurt in equal proportions.
For more vegetarian recipes try
Without much delay let’s get started with the Hyderabadi Diwani Handi recipe or the mix vegetable sabzi recipe
Diwani Handi recipe
What You Need:
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 onions, finely sliced
- 2 to matoes, finely chopped
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- whole garam masala, 2 cloves,2 cardomon, 1 bayleaf, 1 teaspoon shah jeera, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup french green beans, cut into 1 inch sticks
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 beetroot, peeled and diced
- bunch of coriander leaves
- bunch of mint leaves
- salt to taste
How To Make:
- Heat oil in a pot and fry onions till translucent.
- Add whole garam masala spices, green chili and ginger garlic paste. Fry till all the raw smell has evaporated from it
- Add the tomatoes and cook till tender.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Add yogurt and mix well. Add the diced potato and cook till the potatoes are half done.
- Now add the beans, beetroot and carrot. Cook on simmer till all the vegetables are cooked.
- Add in the coriander and mint leaves. You can add juice of one lemon if you want added flavour. Mix well. Cook for further 5 minutes till the oil starts floating on top. Switch off the flame.
- Your delicious hyderabadi diwani handi or the mix vegetable sabzi recipe is ready to serve.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in December 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.