Dal makhani recipe, restaurant style. Now, who doesn’t love the Dal Makhani? The name itself oozes royalty. A spicy and heavy Dal preparation made with a blend of urad dal and rajma. The dal makhani as the name suggests is made with a lot of butter and cream. If you are counting calories, then you can reduce the use of butter and cream. But what is Dal Makhani without the Makhan. Dal makhani tastes best when cooked over low heat. But if you are hard pressed for time, you can use the pressure cooker to boil the dals, but if you are looking for an authentic taste in dal makhani then slow cooking method is the best. I, often, cook with the pressure cooker. But over the weekends when I crave the authentic taste for the dal makhani, then I go for the slow cooker method.
Dal makhani is a very famous dish all over the world. I am guessing here, that most of you might be ordering it when eating at a restaurant. There is nothing which can match the taste of the restaurant dal makhani. Right?? Well, not quite. You can very well make the restaurant style dal makhani at home. There is a very simple trick which can take your dal makhani recipe to another level and give you the restaurant flavor at home. Placing a burning charcoal over the dal makhani and allowing the smokey flavor to incorporate in it will just enhance the flavor. You would have found the same method in chicken angara recipe too. I do that for quite some dishes for its unique flavor. I just love the aroma it emanates. Do try it and lemme know if you liked the unique flavor of the dal makhani.
More dal Recipes:
How to make Dal Makhani Recipe
What You Need:
- 3/4 cup whole urad dal, whole black lentil
- 1/4 cup rajma, kidney beans
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, jeera
- 2 green chilies, cut lengthwise
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 2 no. cloves
- 3 no. cardamom
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, haldi
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomato puree
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh cream for the garnish
- a small piece of charcoal
- few drops of oil
How To Make:
- Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight.
- Drain, add 2 cups of water and salt and cook on low heat till overcooked or alternatively pressure cook till done. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Mash the dal well and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the butter in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the green chilies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, and onions and sauté till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste,chili powder, turmeric powder and tomato puree and cook till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the dal, salt and little water if required and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and mix well. Cook on low heat for further 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Burn the charcoal on fire.
- Place a foil on the dal makhani, keep the burning coal, pour few drops of oil.
- Place the lid tightly to allow the smoke to incorporate in the dal makhani.
- Serve the dal makhani garnished with fresh cream.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in May 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.