Coconut Jaggery Ladoo is a delicious dessert made with coconut and jaggery. It is known as Nariyal Gud Ladoo in Hindi and Thengai Vellam Ladoo in Tamil.
You will surely get nostalgic with childhood memories if you were brought up in India. All of us would have tasted this Coconut Jaggery Ladoo or the Thengai Vellam Ladoo at some point of your lives. I get nostalgic whenever I make this spectacular dessert.
There are lot of memories attached to this simple and tasty coconut jaggery ladoo. Summer Vacation time was always linked to making this sweet. There was never a vacation when we wouldn’t make this dessert. The technique wasn’t so difficult to master. All it needed was grate the coconut and add the jaggery. A delicious tasting ladoo would be ready in no time at all.
I have dissolved the jaggery in water and strained it. Generally, jaggery comes with little bit of dirt in it. But if you jaggery is clean and devoid of any dirt in it. You can directly add the jaggery pieces to the coconut and cook it. As my jaggery seemed to have some dirt in it, I didn’t want to risk and strained it.
It is no rocket science. All you have to do is just add little water to the jaggery and wait until it melts. Then strain it immediately using a fine strainer. If you wait for it to cool down, then jaggery syrup might turn hard and will be difficult to strain. Strain the jaggery syrup while it is still hot.
This Nariyal Gud or the Thengai Vellam Ladoo is not to be confused with Kamarkat. Though the taste is similar, the process of making the kamarkat is entirely different. We grind the coconut and then make the jaggery syrup to form a ball and make the ladoos while the mixture is really piping hot for the kamarkat.
The Coconut Jaggery Ladoo is much for forgiving. You can make the ladoos soft or hard as you please. The amount of jaggery and coconut can be adjusted as per your preference.
So let’s get started with the Coconut Jaggery Ladoo, Nariyal Gud Ladoo, Thengai Vellam Ladoo
Coconut Jaggery Ladoo, Nariyal Gud Ladoo, Thengai Vellam Ladoo
What You Need:
- 4 big coconuts
- 500 gms jaggery
How To Make:
- Break open the coconuts. Grate or shred them.
- Take the jaggery in a pan with little water. Cook on low heat till all the jaggery pieces are melt.
- Strain this jaggery syrup immediately using a fine tea strainer to remove all the dirt.
- Add the grated or shredded coconut to this jaggery syrup and cook on medium heat.
- Cook till all the syrup is absorbed into the coconut and the mixture is thick. (At this point you can cook it further to form a thick lump to get more hard ladoos. I remove when the mixture doesn't fall from the ladle and I get softer ladoos.)
- Remove from heat. Allow the mixture to cool down a little bit.
- Apply ghee to your palms. Take a lemon sized mixture and form it into a ball while the coconut mixture is still hot.
- Allow to cool and serve.
Signing off until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org. Appreciate your help.