Coconut Chutney recipe with step by step photos and video in restaurant style is a very tasty accompaniment that is just perfect with your idli or dosa. Making this yummy chutney is so easy and quick that this will become your go-to accompaniment for breakfast.
Uses of Coconut
Coconut is such a versatile and indispensable fruit for most people around the world. Whether it’s the tender coconut water, which can be a very refreshing drink to beat summer thirst. Or the coconut milk which is used in many recipes. The coconut oil is used extensively in tropical countries for various purposes. The coconut is such a fascinating fruit.
Right from the fruit to it’s leaves, everything is found useful with the coconut tree.
Alternate to using fresh coconut in the chutney
Restaurant Style Coconut Chutney recipe is a perfect accompaniment to South Indian breakfast. In this recipe, I have used fresh coconut to prepare this chutney but you can always substitute unsweetened desiccated coconut for the fresh one. All you have to do is soak the desiccated coconut in milk for a while until the coconut becomes soft and prepare your coconut chutney with it.
But for best taste and flavor, it is always recommended to use the fresh coconut.
Our recommendations for making this coconut chutney recipe in restaurant style
- Whenever possible use fresh coconut.
- Always serve the chutney as soon as possible as it tends to stale soon. If you are not using immediately, then refrigerate.
- You can use cashew in place of roasted chana dal.
- Tempering can be altered according to your preference.
Ingredients used in coconut chutney
- coconut – it has antioxidant properties apart from a whole lot of nutrients
- garlic – believed to improve blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- roasted chana dal – rich in dietary fiber and low in fat content
- green chili – promotes healthy digestive system apart from being a rich source of Vitamin C
- whole spices – that are used for tempering are all loaded with health benefits.
- oil – if the right oil is used in moderation, it can lead to good health like the sesame oil. Although it is heavy on the calorie side, but it contains a lot of good fat like the olive oil.
Step by step pictorial process of the coconut chutney recipe
- All the coconut, roasted chana dal, garlic, green chili and salt in a mixie.
2. Grind to make a coarse paste.
3. Add water and grind again to make a fine paste.
4. Heat oil and prepare tempering, add the tempering to the coconut paste and serve immediately.
Let’s start preparing the coconut chutney recipe in restaurant style
Coconut Chutney recipe in restaurant style is a very tasty accompaniment that is just perfect with your idli or dosa.
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated or cut into small pieces
- 2-3 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tbsp roasted chana dal
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- few curry leaves
- 2 whole dry red chili
- 1 tsp urad dal
In a mixer, add the coconut, roasted chana dal, garlic, and green chilies and grind to a coarse paste.
After you have ground the paste, add salt and a little water to your required consistency. Again grind to make a fine paste.
Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds.
When the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add the red chili, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Pour this tempering over the ground coconut paste. Serve with idli, medhu vada, upma or dosa.
- Always serve coconut chutney as soon as possible.
- The chutney doesn't stay good for long. The maximum you can store this chutney is in an airtight container for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- You can also add cashew nuts in place of roasted chana dal.
- Tempering can be tweaked according to preference.
The following are just estimated and not actuals:
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in October 2015. Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.