Chicken Rezala Recipe – Chicken Rezala is an aromatic and rich cashew based gravy.
It is served in restaurants all over the world. This chicken rezala recipe is an authentic and popular dish has it’s origins in Bengal. Get your wok out for this rich and creamy dish which is beautifully spiced. It can be as mild or a spicy as you like by adding or reducing the amount of chili you put in it.
Based on a traditional Bengali recipe for white chicken korma I have made it as best as I know. However I have not added the poppy seeds as they are banned here and I can’t get it. But I have added it in the recipe so that you can use it if you have access to the poppy seeds in your area. The poppy seeds adds to the chicken rezala recipe ‘s milky, creamy and decadent finish.
The chicken rezala recipe tastes amazing with any thing, be it naan, roti or just even some plain steamed rice. When I made the Vegetable Dum Biryani, I served the chicken rezala recipe with it. You can even serve it with Jeera Rice Recipe-how to make jeera rice recipe-indian cumin rice or Green Peas Pulao Recipe-Matar Pulao Recipe
For more such chicken recipes try Creamy Indian Chicken Curry recipe Kerala Style Chicken Curry Recipe-Kerala chicken curry with coconut Chettinad Chicken curry recipe-how to make chettinad chicken curry recipe Pahadi Chicken Recipe-Pahadi Chicken Curry Hyderabadi Dum ka Murgh Salan-Hyderabadi Lagan ka Murgh-Dum Chicken Curry
Let’s get started with the chicken rezala recipe
Chicken Rezala Recipe
- 1 medium sized chicken cleaned and cut into medium pieces
- 2 medium sized onion finely sliced
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 to matoes roughly chopped
- 8 - 10 cashew nuts
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup fresh yogurt beaten
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 4 tbsp oil or ghee
- 3-4 whole dry red chilies
- 3-4 cloves
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 2 " stick cinnamon
- 3-4 pepper corns
- Peel, chop and grind the onion, tomatoes along with ginger and garlic paste to make a smooth paste.
- Marinade chicken with onion - tomato paste, yogurt, salt and pepper powder. Refrigerate at least for 2 hours.
- Soak the cashew nuts in 1/4 cup water and make a smooth paste with poppy seeds. Set aside
- Heat the oil or ghee. Add whole dry red chilies, clove, green cardamom and cinnamon. Sizzle until aroma comes from the spices.
- Add the marinade chicken. Cover and cook until chicken turns to white about 8-10 minutes.
- Now add the poppy seeds paste and peppercorns. Cook for a minute and pour 3/4 cup warm water. Check the seasoning and cover. Let it simmer on low heat till oil starts to float on top and the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and mint leaves. Serve hot with naan or roti or some plain steamed rice.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in December 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.