Chicken Popcorn Recipe is one of the favorites in my house. My kids simply love chicken popcorn. It is one of the often requested after-school snack from them. As much as my three kids have varying taste buds, this one recipe is a favorite among all three. And is eaten without a whimper much to my relief. Now, isn’t that something for a mom with fussy eaters. My little one would keep rushing in and out of the kitchen if she gets the smell of it. She keeps asking, is it ready yet, is it ready yet… She loves to eat it with ketchup. And wants it hot!! My son loves the garlic sauce that tastes really good with the chicken popcorn.
I hate buying the store bought ones that contain a lot of sodium and preservatives. This homemade version is as good as the packaged chicken popcorn and I dare say even better with the use of fresh chicken. The chicken popcorn recipe is pretty easy to make. You can make the chicken marinate a day before and store in the fridge and fry the popcorn chicken when your kids are back from school.
The very simple trick in this chicken popcorn recipe which makes this dish a unique and crunchy one is the fact that crushed corn flakes are used for giving the crispiness. I have tried with breadcrumbs and other things, but the corn flakes really take the flavor a notch higher. The crispy and crunchy chicken is what makes my kids line up for it. Remember to crush it finely in a food processor or crush it well with your hands. Let’s start our chicken popcorn recipe.
Pro Tips / Important Things to remember while making the popcorn chicken recipe
More similar recipes:
How to make the Chicken Popcorn recipe
Chicken Popcorn Recipe
- 500 gms boneless chicken cut into bite size pieces (learn how to remove raw smell from chicken)
- 1 cup corn flakes
- 2 tbsp refined flour maida
- 1 tbsp cornflour/ corn starch
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- pinch of thyme optional
- 1 egg
- salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Crush cornflakes in a food processor to a fine powder or crush it with your hands for a more crunchiness.
- Mix refined flour, cornstarch, salt, ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, pepper, thyme, salt and egg well.
- Add chicken pieces and mix well. Refrigerate for atleast 1 hour.
- Spread crushed cornflakes on a plate. Coat marinated chicken pieces in it and fry till golden brown. Serve hot.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in May 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.