Chicken Manchurian Gravy Recipe is another of the popular dishes of Indo-Chinese cuisine. The chicken manchurian recipe is definitely a must try with the chicken fried rice.
You can serve the chicken Manchurian gravy with a host of Indo-Chinese dishes. Some of the options for serving along with are
This Indo Chinese dish pairs very well even with some plain steamed rice or plain noodles.
What is Chicken manchurian?
Chicken Manchurian Gravy recipe is made from chicken, which is first fried and then again cooked in a sauce. The tangy sauce is made of soy sauce, corn starch, red chili sauce, tomato sauce, and vinegar. It has a very unique taste it
If you are looking for a veg version then you can try veg manchurian recipe as well.
The difference between chilli chicken and chicken manchurian
Both the dishes are almost identical in ingredients. But the main difference is the sauce. While the chilli chicken is tossed with fried chicken, chili and veggies, the chicken Manchurian flavored with black pepper and cooked in a tangy sauce.
Is Chicken Manchurian a traditional Chinese dish
It is not a traditional Chinese dish per se. You can call it a crossover of the Chinese and Indian Cuisine. It is served in the Indian restaurants with a dash of Chinese ingredients. Hence, it is often termed as the Indo-Chinese cuisines.
Step by Step pictorial of making the chicken manchurian gravy recipe
- Fry the batter coated chicken in hot oil till golden brown.
2. Remove excess oil and fry onion and garlic.
3. Add water, red chili sauce, tomato sauce, soy sauce and bring to boil.
4. Dissolved corn flour in water and add it while stirring continously to the cooking sauce.
5. Add fried chicken. Adjust salt.
6. Garnish with spring onion and cook until desired consistency is achieved.
Let’s get started with the Chicken Manchurian Gravy Recipe
Chicken Manchurian Gravy
Watch the Video
What You Need:
Ingredients for frying the chicken
- 1/2 kg boneless chicken
- 1/2 cup maida or all purpose flour
- 3 to 4 tbsp cornflour, corn starch
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- water as required to form a smooth paste
- salt as required
- oil for deep or shallow frying
Ingredients for preparing the sauce
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 small bunch finely chopped spring onion, scallions, finely chopped whites.
- 4-5 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp corn flour dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp red chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 or 1.5 cup water or chicken stock
- salt to taste
- some chopped spring onion/scallion greens for garnishing
How To Make:
Frying the chicken
- Firstly cut the boneless chicken into medium size pieces. In a large bowl mix together all the ingredients maida, cornflour, salt, ginger garlic and black pepper for making the batter.
- Add water to these ingredients to form a smooth batter without any lumps.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the prepared batter until they are well coated with it. Fry the coated chicken pieces in hot oil one by one.
- While frying, the chicken pieces might start to stick to each other due to the cornflour. So keep stirring the chicken pieces lightly while frying, so that they don’t stick to each other. Fry until they turn golden brown.Remove the golden fried chicken with a slotted spoon and drain onto kitchen tissues.
Preparing Chicken Manchurian Gravy
- Leave 2 tbsp oil in the same pan after removing the excess oil from it and fry the onions on high heat till translucent.
- Add the garlic, and fry for a further 30 secs.
- Add water or chicken stock and cook till it gives a boil.
- Add soy sauce, red chilli sauce, tomato sauce. Mix well and let the sauce simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cornflour paste to thicken the sauce while stirring continuously.
- Add vinegar and the fried chicken pieces. Let it simmer till it reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve the chicken manchurian gravy hot garnished with spring onion.
- You can add in a dash of sugar if you prefer a bit of sweet taste to it.
- Water can be replaced with chicken stock for enhanced flavor.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in October 2015. Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.