Chicken Chukka recipe with step by step pictures and video is pretty simple to make and delicious to taste. Different from the chicken sukka, this is absolutely a delight to eat.
How to get the attractive red color for chicken chukka
It is a pretty famous dish in South India. With bright red color on display, you will be totally intrigued to see the chicken chukka at restaurants.
However, while making at home, I avoid the color and rather use the Kashmiri laal mirch for the bright color. The color of this dish would totally depend upon the quality of the red chili powder or the use of food coloring. So it is totally your choice.
Method for making the chicken chukka recipe
You will have to first marinate the chicken with ginger garlic paste and other spices. Let it rest for about 2 hours in the refrigerator and then proceed to cook it. First, the tempering is done with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Later more spices are added before adding tomato and chicken.
The chicken is cooked on low flame till it is fully done. The tomato and spices are fully absorbed into the chicken by then. You can add in food coloring if you prefer to get the bright red coloring.
This dish has to be served hot immediately. There is no resting time required for this recipe. You can serve this garnished with coriander leaves and a lemon wedge.
Step by step pictorial of the chicken chukka recipe
- Mix the spices and ginger garlic paste with chicken.
- Marinate for at least couple of hours or overnight.
- Splutter mustard seeds in oil and add curry leaves.
- Saute onion till translucent.
- Throw green chili and more spices
- Add marinated chicken and tomato. Cook on low flame till done.
Chicken Chukka Recipe
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 1 chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
For preparing Chicken Chukka recipe
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
How To Make:
- Marinate the chicken in ginger garlic paste, kashmiri chili powder, red chili powder, and salt for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start spluttering, add the curry leaves.
- Next, add in the onion. Fry till the onion turns translucent.
- Add the coriander powder, green chili, and roasted cumin powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and marinated chicken. Close the lid of the pan and cook on low flame till the tomato is cooked. Stir occasionally to prevent the masala from getting burnt.
- Cook till all the water from the chicken has dried up. Roast the chicken well stirring frequently.
- Switch off the flame when the masala has been coated well with the chicken. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
- You can add in food coloring for bright red color if you prefer.
- The cooking time will vary according to the age and quality of the chicken. So please adjust accordingly.
- Though water will not be necessary, you can add in some water if your chicken is too hard to tender.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in September 2015. Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.