Chettinad Thakkali Kulambu or Kuzhambu with step by step pictures and video instructions is a very versatile and tasty gravy. It goes well with hot plain rice. Not difficult to make, this gravy is very yummy and delicious.
What is Chettinad Thakkazhi Kuzhambu?
This is nothing but a tomato curry from the Chettinad cuisine. The South Indian Chettinad cuisine is very unique. You will find a lot of amazing dishes from this Tamil Nadu region.
What are the ingredients required to make the Chettinad thakkali curry?
All we need are the spices, onion, coconut, tamarind, and tomato. We have to grind the spices along with onion and coconut.
After you grind the onion coconut paste, it is a breeze to make this chettinad thakkali kulambu. Unlike it’s other counterparts, this dish is not heavy on spices. We would use minimal spices for making this gravy.
What is the method for making this Chettinad tomato curry?
It’s the method that is pretty unique to this dish. We would first roast the onion with spices and coconut. After it cools down, we grind it and set this aside. Later we cook the tomato and add this ground paste to it. And bingo!! Our delicious Chettinad Thakkali Kulambu or Kuzhambu is ready.
Pro Tips / Important Points to remember while making this chettinad thakkai kulambu
Step By Step Pictorial of making the chettinad thakkali kulambu
- First, take the whole spices in a pan and add the small onions and coconut. Fry till the coconut turns lightly brown on the sides.
2. Allow the spices to cool down and transfer them to a mixie jar. Add little water if ncessary.
3. Grind to make a paste. Set aside this spice paste.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter and add the onion, curry leaves. Fry for a minute.
5. Add the spice paste now. Fry well till all the masala is fried well.
6. Next, add the tomato, turmeric powder and salt.
7. Cook till the tomato is soft and tender. Add in the tamarind water.
8. Add the coriander leaves in the chettinad thakkali kulambu.
9. Bring it to a boil and serve hot.
Serve the Chettinad Thakkali Kulambu with plain hot rice and with appalam or papad as a side. That is all that we need to make a whole meal.
This curry is served hot.
For more similar recipes:
How to make Chettinad Thakkali Kulambu / Kuzhambu, Chettinad Tomato Curry
Chettinad Thakkali Kulambu / Kuzhambu, Tomato kulambu
Watch the Video
What You Need:
For the paste
- 1/2 cup small onions / sambar vengayam, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds / methi dana
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 whole dry red chilli
- 1/2 cup coconut, cut into small pieces
For the gravy
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 4 - 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- lemon sized ball tamarind , soaked in water
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves / cilantro, finely chopped
How To Make:
Making the paste
- Add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, whole red chili, onion, and coconut. Cook till a nice aroma emanates from it and the coconut lightly changes it's color.
- Switch off the flame and allow it to cool. Add some water and blend to make a paste.
Making the gravy
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds. Fry till it splutters.
- Add the curry leaves and tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes are soft and pulpy.
- Throw in the turmeric powder, salt and the blend paste.
- Add the tamarind paste and stir well to dissolve. Add required amount of water.
- Bring it to a boil and add coriander leaves. Cook on low flame for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from stove and serve hot with some plain rice and papad.
- Use small onion if you find them. Otherwise, even the normal onions will do fine.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in September of 2016. New, Image, Step by step photos and video have been added for better understanding. The recipe has been made printable in November 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.