Chettinad Chicken Fry recipe with step by step photos and video instructions is another of the chicken recipe from the chettinad cuisine from the South Indian State of Tamil Nadu, made with chicken and the freshly ground spices. Like the Chettinad Mutton Varuval, this is made with aromatic spices.
You can find the chettinad mutton curry and chettinad egg masala too on my blog which are pretty much similar when it comes to the spices department. Just the process is little bit different from the other two. Varuval is nothing but another name for fry in Tamil
What is Chettinad Cuisine?
Chettinad cuisine is pretty popular all over the world. Chettinad is a region in South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is famous for it’s spiciness, the Chettinad cuisine is really yummy.
Whenever I make the chettinad dishes whether it is chettinad egg masala or the chettinad chicken fry recipe, my house is engulfed with aroma throughout, of the spices when I roast them. That is the thing that I simple love about this chettinad cuisine. Freshly roasted and ground, the spices will make your home filled with aroma that will leave your family lining up to the kitchen to find out what’s cooking in the kitchen.
How are the spices ground for the chettinad spice powder?
Traditionally, the spices are hand ground in a pestle which brings out the best flavor. Even though I have the stone pestle at home, I have used the mixie this time as I was short on time. But if you can, then grind the spices in the pestle for the most authentic taste for the chettinad chicken fry recipe
What is Chettinad Chicken Fry?
The chettinad chicken fry is an easy recipe and gets cooked pretty fast once we get our spices ready. You can always increase or decrease the spice level by adjusting the use of the pepper. The ingredients are pretty easy to gather and the method is simple to follow. Remember to get to good quality chicken to make this chettinad chicken fry recipe. As you must be knowing the meat plays a huge part on the outcome of the dish and this dish is no exception.
Famous for the lean protein and taste, this super food in a truly South Indian avatar is just what you will need to flaunt at any party table. This will be a perfect addition when you have guests arriving at short notice and need to cook up something exotic and yet simple. Tired of making the same korma or the same masala, this will be a welcome change.
This will be your lifesaver during such times. Not too hard to make, it’s the spices that give uniqueness to this chettinad chicken varuval recipe.
While cooking the restaurant style food at home, we have the advantage of, apart from using the ingredients of our choice, we can be at rest, that it has been cooked with all the fresh ingredients and not leftover or frozen stuff. And the love that we pour into the recipe while cooking is another story.
How to make the Chettinad Chicken Varuval and what are the ingredients needed for it?
First, you will have to start by preparing the Chettinad spice powder by roasting the black pepper, cumin seeds, whole red chili, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, fennel seeds. Once the spices are cool, grind to make a powder and set aside.
Next, heat oil in a pan and fry the onion, curry leaves, and green chili till translucent. Then add the ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell vanishes from it. We will now add the chicken and cook till done before adding the spice powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Fry well before serving hot.
Pro Tips / Important points to remember while making the chettinad chicken varuval recipe
Step by step pictorial process of making the chicken fry recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the onion, curry leaves, and green chili. Fry till the onion turns translucent. Do not fry till brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell vanishes from it
2. Add the chicken pieces and saute well till water dries up from it.
3. Cook covered till the chicken is done on medium low heat. If necessary, add some water at this stage.
4. Cook till the chicken is done. You will notice that the chicken will leave the water on it’s own.
5. Add the spice powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix thoroughly to coat the masala with chicken.
6. Fry for 5 more minutes and serve hot.
Serve the chicken hot with lemon wedges and garnished with coriander leaves.
More similar recipes:
Let’s get started with the chettinad chicken fry recipe.
Chettinad Chicken Fry
- 1 kg chicken
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 onion finely sliced
- 1-2 sprigs curry leaves
- 3-4 green chili chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
For Chettinad Powder
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 5-6 cloves
- 2 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 4-5 whole dry red chilies adjust according to your spice level
- 3-4 cardamom
- Clean the chicken thoroughly and set aside.
Making the chettinad spice powder
- Heat a pan and dry roast the cloves, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, fennel, peppercorns, cardamom, whole dry red chilies lightly.
- Make these roasted spices into a fine powder with a dry/coffee grinder or in a stone pestle. Set aside this spice powder.
Making Chettinad Chicken Fry
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the sliced onions, curry leaves and green chili. Fry the onions till they turn translucent.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the ginger garlic paste till the raw smell vanishes from it. Add the chicken and saute for sometime till all the water is dried up from it.
- Cook covered on low heat till chicken is done. You can add water if necessary.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the prepared chicken powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix thoroughly and fry for 5 more minutes and serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
- Choose tender chicken for best taste.
- Always use freshly ground spice powder.
- You can also use boneless chicken.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in April of 2016. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. New images, Step by Step Photos and Video has been added in January 2019.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.