السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Cheese Fatayer recipe with fatayer dough recipe. A quick, simple and easy to follow cheese fatayer recipe from scratch.
Now those who are in the Arab world will know what is a fatayer. All time favorite for many, I was introduced to the fatayer after coming to Dubai. And it is amazing how each restaurant’s fatayer tastes amazingly different and delicious. But, for me, the best fatayer was in Salalah, Oman. The base is crisp and yet so soft and the cheese just melts in your mouth. Though we do find some good fatayer out here in Dubai, but still the Salalah’s fatayer is a hands down winner. And the meshaltat is just another story which tastes so amazingly delicious.
The fatayer can be made with lot of fillings like chicken, mutton, spinach, but my personal favorite is the Cheese Fatayer recipe. Traditionally the Cheese fatayer recipe is made with the akkawi cheese but you can make it with feta cheese or even mozarella cheese. I like to add half of feta and mozzarella together for the Cheese Fatayer recipe.
I have also shared the fatayer dough recipe here and you can use the same recipe for making different kinds, with different fillings and with any shape that you like.
For more Arabic / Middle Eastern recipes try Yemeni Chicken Haneed Recipe Farrouj Meshwi Recipe-Arabic Garlic Chicken recipe Kunafa Recipe-Knafeh Recipe with Kataifi Traditional One Pot Harees Recipe
The Cheese Fatayer recipe is pretty simple and easy to make. Though I am still trying to perfect the making of the boat shape, still it is a work in progress.
Let’s get started with the Cheese Fatayer recipe with fatayer dough recipe
Cheese Fatayer recipe with fatayer dough recipe
- 21/2 cups all-purpose flour / maida
- 1 packet / 11 gms instant yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk lukewarm
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 4 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 2 tsp onion seeds
- 1 egg beaten
- Add yeast, sugar, salt and yeast to the milk.
- Add this milk to the all purpose flour and mix.
- Now add in the olive oil and knead for about couple of minutes. Cover with damp muslin cloth and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, make small dough balls.
- Meanwhile soak the feta cheese in cold water for 10 minutes changing the water twice.
- Crumble the feta cheese in a bowl, add the mozzarella cheese, egg, onion seeds and parsley and mix.
- Roll out the balls in an oval shape and place a tablespoon of the cheese mixture in the middle.
- Hold both the sides of the edges and fold like a boat as shown in the picture above.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 180 C for about 15 - 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.