Cabbage Poriyal with step by step photos and video is a simple cabbage stir fry which is just so simple and quick to make. Muttaikose is the Tamil word for cabbage and poriyal is kind of a stir-fry without using a lot of oil to it. You can check out other poriyal recipes like potato poriyal, cauliflower poriyal, etc on the blog.
What is cabbage poriyal?
The cabbage stir fry or the cabbage poriyal recipe is a pretty simple recipe which even the most beginner of cooks can make. It is made with very few ingredients and very less oil added to this poriyal recipe.
Is Cabbage Poriyal recipe healthy?
Yes, without a doubt, this dish is a very healthy option. Since very less oil is used and naturally the cabbage is a very calorie food, this becomes one of the healthy options. The health benefits of cabbage are many. Cabbage offers many vitamins and fiber, with no fat or cholesterol. A wonder food for those on diet.
Variations of the muttaikose poriyal
Another wonderful variation of this cabbage stir fry recipe is making the cabbage with the potatoes / aloo. I simply love the potatoes with the cabbage. A lot of my friends in Chennai used to bring this to school in their tiffin box.
This is my take on making one of the many variations of the much-loved cabbage. I use very minimal spices in this recipe and cook on very low heat without adding water.
How is the cabbage poriyal cooked?
The cabbage gets cooked with the steam that gives this dish it’s distinct taste and flavor. There is no need to add water. It gets cooked with very little amount of oil and yet just tastes so amazing.
Pro Tips / Important Points to remember while making this dish
Step by Step Pictorial of making the cabbage poriyal recipe or the cabbage stir-fry
- Heat a pan and add oil. When the oil heats up, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, garlic, and dry chili. Fry until the garlic changes the color.
- Add the onion slices and fry till they turn translucent.
- Next, throw in the spices and salt. Mix well and cook for about a minute or so.
- Shred the cabbage finely and add this to the masala.
- Mix well till all the masala is coated well with the cabbage. Cover the pan and let it cook on low heat.
- The cabbage gets cooked pretty fast so there won’t be any necessity to add water. But, if required, just sprinkle some water. The cabbage would get cooked on it’s own steam. Stir occasionally to prevent burning the bottom. Remove from heat once the cabbage is cooked.
Serve hot immediately with roti or rice with khatti dal.
You can serve garnished with coriander leaves.
More similar recipes:
How to make the cabbage poriyal recipe
Cabbage Poriyal recipe
- 1 head cabbage finely shredded (about 800 gms)
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dry red chili
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds splutter, add the cumin seeds, dry chili and garlic.
- Add onion and fry till translucent.
- Add chili powder, salt and cabbage and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat till the cabbage is cooked.
- Serve hot with Rice or Chapati.
- There is no need to add any water. If necessary, simply sprinkle some water on the cabbage.
- Cook on simmer
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in March 2015. New, Image, Step by step photos and video have been added for better understanding. The recipe has been made printable in November 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.