Assalamu’alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh
Cabbage curry recipe in Andhra Style is another delicious dish from the South Indian cuisine. Made with minimum ingredients, this cabbage poriyal will be quick to make too.
I like cabbage and make it along with different ingredients. But in today’s recipe, this is plain cabbage poriyal made in Andhra style. There are not a lot of ingredients required for making this dish. All we would need is onion, tomato and some basic spices that is used in everyday cooking.
You can even add some potatoes to this dish or make it as the methi cabbage. It tastes awesome with any other veggie or just as it is. The fact is there is no such thing as a perfect combination and you can add it whatever veggie you like.
You can add in more red chilli powder according to your family preference. I always add little less chilli for my kids. When the dish is ready, I reserve some for my kids and add little bit extra for my husband. As he is a true Andhraite, he loves his food really hot and spicy.
This cabbage curry recipe in Andhra gets cooked in no time. This will become your best friend when you are short on time. The only time consuming thing to be done while making this cabbage curry recipe is shredding the cabbage. But if you use the food processor for shredding, then even that would not require any extra time.
I use the food processor for shredding the cabbage as they get shredded very finely according to my liking. I can never get to shred the cabbage manually like the food processor does. It is just perfect how I would like it cut and cooked.
The cabbage curry recipe was made very often in my home and especially the cabbage mutton. Ammi would make the cabbage gosht pretty often and I can still find the taste of it on my tongue. Maybe the patience and love that she served with made all the difference. Something that I can never master perhaps.
But after marriage even I started making the cabbage gosht as well as this plain cabbage curry recipe in Andhra Style. As this doesn’t take much time like to cook the mutton, this becomes my go – to recipe when short on time.
You can serve this with some Hyderabadi Khatti dal and hot steamed rice or even serve it with roti. It does taste awesome with both.
Let’s get started with the Cabbage Curry recipe, Andhra Style Cabbage Poriyal
Cabbage Curry recipe, Andhra Style Cabbage Poriyal
What You Need:
- 500 gms cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 to mato, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- salt to taste
How To Make:
- Heat oil on medium flame in a skillet and add the cumin seeds and garlic. Fry for a minute.
- Add onion and fry till translucent. Add in the tomato and cook till the tomato is soft and tender.
- Lower the flame and mix in the shredded cabbage, salt, red chili powder and cook covered on low flame till done. (When you cook it covered on low flame, the steam would let out water and there is no need to add any extra water to it. Stir in between)
- Next add the coriander leaves and cover with the lid and cook on high flame for just couple of more minutes while stirring.
- Remove from fire and serve hot with dal and rice.
Signing off until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com. Appreciate your help.