Macher Jhol or the Bengali Fish Curry recipe is a traditional fish curry recipe from the Bengali and Oriya cuisine.
Now everyone knows how the Bengali’s are so fond of the fish. No wonder their skin is so radiant with all the fish varieties that they consume. I have been enjoying making quite a number of bengali recipes this year. You will be seeing lot of bengali reipes on my blog in coming days, in sha ALLAH.
This Macher Jhol or the bengali fish curry recipe is just a small and humble attempt to replicate one of the ever favorite recipe from them.
The Macher Jhol or the Bengali fish curry recipe is traditionally made with mustard oil in a onion based gravy with aromatic spices. I have added the dill leaves too to the dish as I love the flavor that comes with it.
You can make this recipe with any kind of fish that you like. I have made it with the lady fish that is pretty popular here. It tastes awesome when fried too. Another popular fish that is very often made while making Macher Jhol or the Bengali Fish curry recipe is the King Fish. You can try this recipe with kind you prefer.
Serve it with some hot plain steamed rice for a perfect meal that will leave you asking for more.
For more fish recipes check out the other recipes on my blog like Easy Fish Gravy Recipe-How to make fish gravy recipe South Indian Fish Curry Recipe-Recipe for Fish Curry Pomfret Fish Fry Recipe Masaledar Salmon – Indian spiced Baked Salmon recipe
Let’s get started with the Bengali Fish Curry recipe or the Macher Jhol recipe
Bengali Fish Curry recipe-Macher Jhol
What You Need:
- 500 gms lady fish or any other fish of your choice, cleaned thoroughly
- 2 medium onion, finely chopped / pyaz
- 4 tbsp mustard oil / tel
- 3 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder / haldi
- 2 tsp cumin powder /jeera powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder / lal mirch powder
- salt to taste / namak
- 2 tsp coriander powder / dhaniya powder
- 4 tbsp coconut paste
- 6 green chillies, slit from the middle /hari mirch
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves/cilantro/hara dhaniya
- 2 tbsp dill leaves
How To Make:
- Marinate the fish with salt and turmeric powder, and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the fishes, one at a time, until they are lightly fried and keep them aside.
- Add the chopped onion, and fry till translucent. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for further couple of minutes.
- Now add the red chili powder, cumin powder and coriander powder and mix well.
- Add the coconut paste and a cup of water and cook till it reaches a boiling point.
- Add the fried fish, green chilies and stir gently.
- Reduce the flame and cook till the oil starts floating on top of the curry. Add the dill leaves and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with the fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in December 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.