Beetroot chutney is a delicious dish with a wonderful colour and tastes excellent when mixed with rice or served as an accompaniment with idli or dosa. This beetroot coconut chutney recipe is deliciously made beetroot and freshly grated coconut, slightly stir fried and ground to a paste along with freshly roasted and ground Indian spices like dry red chilies, jeera and fenugreek seeds. The tamarind is added to give that tangy taste and finally tempered with mutard seeds.
You won’t be surprised if I tell you how much goodness is there in this exotic vegetable and how rarely we all eat it. So along with the beetroot and soybean tikki, this is my humble effort by making the beetroot chutney to make my family eat the beetroot. This is a two-part series where I would share with you another chutney in the next post.
For more similar recipes see
Let’s just get started with the beetroot coconut chutney recipe
Beetroot Chutney Recipe
What You Need:
- 1 medium sized beetroot
- 2 tbsp oil +1 tsp for tempering
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 whole dry red chili, or as required
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp freshly grated coonut
- 1 onion, sliced
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 tbsp tamarind juice
How To Make:
- Peel the beetroot skin and cut it into small pieces.
- In a pan, add 1 tbsp oil and add chana dal, whole dry red chilies, cumin seeds and garlic. Fry them until they get golden brown in color.
- Then add your sliced onions and salt and fry them until translucent. Set aside.
- In a same pan, add the remaining 1 tbsp oil and beetroot and fry them until it gets cooked.
- Now add shredded coconut and saute for couple of minutes.
- Finally add the tamarind juice. Allow the mixture to cool down and finally blend it your mixer.
- Heat 1 tsp oil and add mustard seeds till they begin to splutter.
- Mix the tempered mustard seeds to the beetroot chutney. Mix and serve it with rice or idli/dosa.
- Your delicious beetroot chutney is ready.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in October 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.