Beans Aloo Recipe or the Aloo Beans Sabji with step by step photos and video instructions is simple and quick to make green beans curry along with the potato. A very popular vegetarian recipe in India, this dish cannot be missed if you want to taste a really authentic and traditional dish. Just like the Aloo Methi, this is so easy to make.
I love the combination of green beans, potatoes and simple spices. It’s a classic combination – fresh, zesty and perfect as a side dish for rice or roti. The beans aloo recipe goes very well with any kind of Indian Bread, be it roti, paratha or even as a side with some plain steamed rice and dal.
Can you cook the Aloo beans sabji in a pressure cooker?
Yes, of course, you can. If you are short on time, you can easily pop it in the pressure cooker for the super fast finish on a hectic weekday. Potatoes take longer than green beans to cook, so I just pop the potatoes in first till it is half cooked and then toss in the green beans. Soft and juicy tender potatoes with lightly crunchy green beans, this is just a perfect side dish.
How to cut the potatoes and beans for making the beans aloo recipe?
Dice the potatoes into small cubes and cut them into large pieces. You can also cut them lengthwise. For the green beans, remove the ends of it, and cut them into 1-inch pieces.
What are the ingredients for making the Aloo beans sabji?
The key ingredients that are required for making this dish, as the name suggests, are potato and green beans. Rest of the ingredients are the other basic items like the garlic and spices. You can make this recipe with ingredients that are right in your pantry.
Pro Tips / Important things to remember while making the aloo beans sabji
Step by Step pictorial of making the beans aloo recipe
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds and garlic. Once the garlic turns golden brown, add the diced potato.
2. Add salt and turmeric powder and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook.
3. Cook until the potato is half-done. If necessary, add water.
4. Once the potatoes are half-cooked, add in the green beans.
5. Add rest of the red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and stir well.
6. Again, cook covered till the beans and potato are cooked on low heat.
You can serve this dish with either rice or roti. It tastes awesome with both.
Serve it hot immediately.
More similar recipes:
- Cauliflower fry
- kadai paneer
- cabbage poriyal
- cauliflower poriyal
- bharwa karela
- potato podimas
- methi paneer
How to make the Beans Aloo Recipe, Aloo Beans Sabji
Aloo Beans Sabji
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 small sized potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 250 gms green beans stems removed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds and garlic. Fry till the garlic turns golden brown in color.
- Next add in the potatoes, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook till the potatoes are half-done.
- Add in the green beans, coriander powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder.
- Cook covered on low heat till the potato and beans are done. Serve hot.
Pressure Cooker Version
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds and garlic. Fry till the garlic turns golden brown in color.
- Next add in the potatoes, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well, add a cup of water. Close the lid and cook for 2 whistles. Allow the steam to escape.
- Add in the green beans, coriander powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder. Add water if required.
- Again close the lid and cook for 2 more whistles. Allow the steam to escape and cook till all the water is dried up from the sabji. Serve hot.
- Adding water will depend upon your vegetables. If your vegetables take a very long time to cook, then it is best to cook with little water.
- Add water when cooking in the pressure cooker.
- But if you cook without water on it's own steam on simmer, it will taste awesome.
- Cut the potatoes in whatever size you wish.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in February of 2016. New images, Step by step photos and video have been added for the better understanding of the users. The recipe has been made printable in November 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.