Batata Vada Recipe, Mumbai Street Food is a delicious street food from the region of Mumbai. It is a very famous snack in Mumbai, potato mixture filled in a besan coating. Like the Aloo Bajji, this is a very tasty and easy snack.
The potato is known as batata in Marati and hence the name Batata Vada recipe. In South India, we call it as Aloo Bonda. There are as many variations to the Batata Vada recipe as there are names to it. But today, let me share with you the Mumbai Batata Vada recipe.
How to make the Mumbai Batata Vada?
Though the process might sound little complex when you read it, it is not actually. It is pretty simple and easy to make. You just have to prepare the potato filling, make them into balls or patties, coat them in the besan batter and deep fry them. That’s it. Your batata vada will be ready.
How to make the potato filling for the Mumbai Batata Vada Recipe?
For the potato filling, boil the potatoes and set aside. Crush the garlic, whole dry red chili in a stone pestle. Using the pestle gives it an amazing flavor. But if you find it difficult then you can give it a quick grind in the mixie to get a coarse ground paste. Mix this garlic and red chili paste to the boiled potato along with salt.
Next fry the onions and add the grated ginger, cumin seeds, chopped green chili, coriander leaves. Allow the mixture to cool and make the potato masala into small balls or discs. I prefer making small balls of the potatoes.
How to make the batter for making the Mumbai batata vada recipe?
For the batter mix the bengal gram flour or besan with turmeric powder, salt, red chili powder, pinch of soda and water and make into a thick batter. Dip the balls of potato into this batter.
and coat well in the batter. Now take this coated potato filling and put it into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown and serve hot with mint chutney or ketchup.
You can serve it with the mint chutney or ketchup and with some fried green chilis on the side. I have seen many vendors serve the green chillis along with the batata vada recipe.
Serve it hot.
More similar recipes:
So let’s just get started with the Mumbai Batata Vada Recipe
Batata Vada Recipe
For the potato filling
- 4 potatoes medium sized
- 5 whole dry red chili
- 1 pod of garlic
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 2 green chili finely chopped
- 4 tbsp coriander leaves/cilantro
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
For the batter
- 3 cups of besan/bengal gram flour
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- pinch of baking soda
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- oil for frying
How to prepare potato filling for the batata vada
- Boil the potatoes till they are done. Peel and mash them and set aside.
- Crush the garlic and dry red chili in a stone pestle or coarsely grind in a mixie.
- Mix this crushed garlic and red chili paste to the mashed potato along with salt.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and fry the onions till translucent. Add the ginger, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, green chili and coriander leaves and give it a stir.
- Add the mashed potato mixture and mix thoroughly. Allow this filling to cool.
- When the potato filling has cooled down, make them into small balls or into disc shape.
How to make Mumbai batata vada
- Now prepare the batter by adding the besan, turmeric powder, red chili powder, baking soda, salt, rice flour with water to make into a thick batter. Be careful not to add more water as the thin batter won't stick to the potato filling well.
- Heat oil for frying in a kadai.
- Dip the potato balls in the prepared batter and coat well. Transfer this coated potato filling to the hot oil. Fry till it is golden brown in color. Serve hot.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in October 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.