Arbi ki sabzi with gravy with step by step photos and video instructions is a tasty colocasia root curry that tastes awesome with rice. This is the type of gravy that you will love eating every week like the Kulfa Dal.
A delicious Arbi ki sabji which is amazing to mix with rice and eat. If you are bored with eating the dal, rasam or other same gravies, then you must definitely try this Arbi ki sabzi.
What is Arbi called in English?
The English name is colocasia root for the arbi.
What are the health benefits of Arvi?
There are a host of health benefits of the Arbi. Some of them are listed below:
- It has anti-cancer properties.
- Improves digestive health as it is fiber-rich food.
- It helps in improving blood circulation.
- Healthy heart.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Improves vision.
- Excellent skin health.
How to make the curry powder for making this arbi ki sabzi with gravy?
The curry powder that I have added is homemade and you too can easily make it at home.
Roast the following ingredients lightly and grind to make a fine powder. Store in air-tight container for 2-3 months.
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1/2 cup rice
- 100 gms red chili
- 100 gms coriander powder
- 50 gms turmeric
- 25 gms fenugreek seeds
- 100 gms cumin seeds
- 3 tsp asafoetida
- 25 gms black pepper
Can I make the Arbi ki sabji without tamarind?
Yes, you can totally omit the tamarind water and relish this delicacy without it.
Pro Tips / Important points to remember while making the arbi ki sabji with gravy
Step by step pictorial process of making the arvi ki sabji
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add the curry leaves, garlic and green chili. Fry for a couple of minutes till the garlic turns slightly brown in color.
2. Add the arbi, tomato, curry powder, and salt. Give it a good stir and add the required amount of water for cooking the arbi.
3. Close the lid and cook till the arbi is done. When you pass a kitchen knife through it, it should just slide through. It takes about 5-6 whistles. Some arbi varieties take longer to cook than others, so adjust accordingly.
4. Once the arbis are cooked, add the tamarind water, coconut paste and coriander leaves.
5. Bring it to a boil and simmer till oil starts floating on top
6. Serve with plain hot rice.
Serve the gravy hot with steamed plain hot rice.
For more similar recipes try the following
let’s learn how to make the arbi ki sabzi with gravy
Arbi ki sabzi with gravy
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 500 gms arbi, peeled
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves/kadi patta
- 3-4 green chili, halved
- 2 tsp garlic, chopped
- 2 onion, ground into paste
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 3 tbsp fresh coconut, ground into paste
- 1 lemon sized tamarind ball, soaked in water
How To Make:
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds till they splutter.
- Add the garlic, green chili, curry leaves and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add the onion paste and fry till the onion paste gets brown in color.
- Put the peeled arbi, chopped tomato, curry powder, and salt and cover the lid. Cook until the arbi is tender. About 5 to 6 whistles of the pressure cooker. Allow the steam to escape.
- Add the coriander leaves, coconut paste, and tamarind water and cook on low flame till the oil starts to float in the gravy. Serve it hot with rice.
- After peeling the arbi, use gloves to wash them as it might cause itching for some time.
- You can skip the tamarind juice if you prefer.
- The cooking time will depend upon the variety of the arbi, so adjust accordingly.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in October of 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. New images, Step by Step Photos and Video has been added in January 2019.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.