Andhra Chicken Fry recipe with step by step photos and video is another chicken dish from the South Indian cuisine. Andhra is known for it’s hot spiciness, and this dish lives up to it’s reputation.
What is Andhra cuisine?
Andhra is a State in South India. Though recently the state has been divided into two as Telangana and Andhra, most of the Telangana recipes are still called Andhra recipes. Andhra cuisine is known for it’s spicy, flavorful and aromatic dishes.
What is Andhra Chicken?
This recipe is purely an Andhra dish with a lot of spice in it. Kodi means chicken and vepudu means fry and hence the other name for andhra chicken fry recipe is kodi vepudu. The spices are first dry roasted and then ground with other ingredients. The paste is then applied to the chicken before frying.
Is Andhra Chicken spicy?
Staying true to the tradition, this Andhra chicken fry is spicy. But it can always be tweaked to suit your palate. Add in more green chili or red pepper to increase the spiciness. If spicy flavor is not your forte, then add less of the peppers. (Or you can call the fire engine to douse the fire in your mouth 😆
How to remove the non-veg smell from chicken?
Clean the chicken pieces with vinegar, wheat flour and turmeric powder. Apply these ingredients to the chicken and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Rinse well till the water runs clear. Proceed to cook as per instructions.
Ingredients needed for making the Andhra Chicken Fry
The main ingredients that are required for this recipe are as follows:
- Boneless chicken: You can also use bone-in pieces. But remember to cut them into small pieces
- Coriander seeds: For flavor
- Cumin seeds: Cumin seeds are used for good flavor and digestion as well.
- Dry chili: Spiciness
- Green Chili: Well, this is Andhra dish, it has to be as spicy as it gets.
- Yogurt: Balances the spice
- Coriander and mint leaves: Aromatic herbs are just perfect addition for the Andhra chicken fry
- Ginger & Garlic: Helps tenderize the chicken faster apart from the flavor in it.
Can I make this with bone-in Chicken pieces?
Yes, of course, you can make this dish with bone-in chicken pieces. Just remember to cut the chicken into small pieces as we have to fry them really well.
How to roast and grind the spices for Andhra Chicken?
Roast the dry ingredients lightly till a nice aroma emanates from them. Once the spices are roasted, allow them to cool completely. Add these roasted spices to a mixie jar and add the yogurt, coriander leaves, green chili, ginger and garlic. Grind to make a paste. Set this aside.
How to make Andhra Chicken Fry?
Making the Andhra Chicken fry recipe is pretty easy:
- Roast the spices.
- Grind them along with coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, green chili, and yogurt. Make a paste.
- Apply this paste to the chicken pieces.
- Marinate for a couple of hours.
- Fry the chicken pieces in hot oil till golden brown.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges and onion
Step by Step Pictorial of Andhra Chicken Fry or the Andhra Kodi vepudu
- First, heat a pan and add the cumin seeds, red chili, cardamom, cinnamon and coriander seeds. Dry roast them lightly till a nice aroma emanates from them.
- Allow the spices to cool down completely after roasting. Transer them to a mixie jar and add the green chili along with the spices.
- Next, add the coriander leaves, mint leaves, thick yogurt, ginger and garlic.
- Grind to make a paste without adding water. The yogurt will leave sufficient water to make a good paste out of it.
- Take the chicken pieces in a bowl and add the ground paste. Mix it well with the chicken pieces. Marinate this chicken for at least 2 hours or overnight for best results.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the marinated chicken to it. Fry on medium heat.
- Fry until the chicken turns golden brown in color. Serve hot.
Pro Tips / Important things to remember while making this dish
- You can make this with either boneless chicken pieces or the bone-in ones. Just ensure that the chicken pieces are small.
- Spice level can be adjusted according to your family’s preference.
- You can also add black pepper powder.
- Marinate for 2 hours or overnight for best results.
- If you are short on time, you can completely skip the marination.
Serve hot immediately. You can garnish with coriander leaves, lemon wedges and onion rings.
This Andhra chicken fry recipe goes well with plain hot rice and khatti dal.
Let’s get started with the Andhra Chicken Fry Recipe, South Indian Kodi Vepudu
Andhra Chicken Fry Recipe, South Indian Kodi Vepudu
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 500 gms boneless chicken
Dry Roast Ingredients
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 no. whole dry red chili
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 2 cardamom
- 1 tbsp ginger, chopped
- 6-7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-3 no green chili
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves / cilantro
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 4 tbsp oil
How To Make:
- Dry roast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, whole red chili, cinnamon, cardamom till a nice aroma emanated from it. Allow it to cool completely
- Make a paste with coriander leaves, mint leaves, yogurt, ginger, garlic, green chili along with the cooled spices.
- Add this paste to the chicken. Mix well and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
How to make the Andhra Chicken fry
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the marinated chicken pieces till they turn golden brown in color.
- Serve hot garnished with lemon wedges, onion rings and coriander leaves.
- You can either use small boneless pieces or bone-in chicken pieces.
- Skip the marination time when short on time.
- Adjust spice levels by adding or removing one or more of pepper.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in August 2016. New, Image, Step by step photos and video have been added for better understanding for the readers. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.