Anda Biryani Recipe in Hyderabadi Style with step by step photo and video instructions is a simple and easy to make biryani recipe made with egg. A one-dish wonder which can be relished on any day, at any time just like the Chicken Dum Biryani.
What is a biryani?
Biriyani is basically a rice-based dish. The rice is blended with meat, veggies or egg to make one-pot dish. Biryani can be made with a variety of ingredients like the chicken, mutton, vegetables, eggs or even paneer. A yakhni is first prepared and later the rice is added either par-boiled or raw depending upon the type of biryani you are making.
What is Hyderabadi Anda biryani recipe?
Hyderabadi Egg Biryani is a type of rice that is prepared with boiled eggs, basmati rice and yakhni. The base for the egg biryani, also knows as yakhni, is prepared with tomato, yogurt masala. Pretty simple to make, this biryani gets cooked in no time at all.
If you are bored with eating the other Hyderabadi chicken biryani, the mutton biryani or the vegetable biryani, then this easy hyderabadi egg biryani recipe is the answer for you. The sheer ease of making this egg biryani recipe is the biggest advantage of trying this out. Unlike the hyderabadi mutton or chicken biryani, we don’t have to worry whether the meat is cooked or not. All we have to do is make the plain biryani rice and top it with the egg.
Why you should cook this anda biryani?
This Anda Biryani recipe is pretty simple in making that it soon become your favorite go-to dish when short on time. Few foods will pack more nutrients than the egg. Egg yolk is one of the few foods that naturally contain the much needed Vitamin D.
This inexpensive, protein-rich power food is definitely on everyone’s grocery shopping list. And what better to relish than in a biryani.
How to make the Hyderabadi Egg Biryani recipe?
First, the masala or the yakhni is prepared with onion, spices, tomato, and yogurt. Then the boiled eggs are fried lightly in spicy oil. Once your rice is par-boiled your biryani will be set on a dum and the biryani will be ready to serve in no time at all.
What are the ingredients for making the Hyderabadi Anda Biryani?
The core ingredients that you will require for making this biryani are
- Eggs: I have already mentioned it’s benefits above.
- Basmati Rice: If you know your rice, then you do not have to worry about messing up this part. I use India Gate Basmati rice, so after adding them to the boiling water, I wait for the rice to start boiling again. Once the water starts boiling again, cook for 3-4 minutes and switch off the heat.
- Yogurt: The yogurt is a crucial part of this biryani
- Tomato: And so are the tomatoes.
- Ghee: And yes, use ghee in place of oil for the maximum flavor. Nothing can beat the desi ghee’s flavor. I have used a small amount of ghee to avoid it being heavily laden with fat, but you can always adjust the amount of ghee as per your preference.
Pro Tips / Important Points to remember while making this Hyderabadi Egg Biryani
Step by Step Pictorial of making the Hyderabadi Egg Biryani
- Heat oil in a pan and add ghee and oil. Next, add in the sliced onions, green chili and whole spices. Fry until onion turns golden brown in color.
2. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell vanishes from it. Throw in the red chili powder, coriander powder, salt and mix well.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn soft and pulpy.
4. When the tomatoes turn soft, lower the flame and add the whisked yogurt. Stir vigorously to avoid curdling of the yogurt.
5. The yakhni is ready when the oil starts leaving the sides of the masala. Remove the masala in another bowl and set aside. We will require this pan for frying the eggs.
6. You can start preparing the rice as you cook the yakhni. This saves time. Boil sufficient water in a pot with salt and oil. Add the soaked basmati rice and again bring to a boil.
7. Your rice is ready when it is half-done. To identify the rice, press it between your fingers, when it breaks with little force, your rice is ready.
8. Drain from water and place half the rice in a pan. Layer with the yakhni masala. Place rest of the rice to cover the yakhni.
9. Add the coriander leaves and mint leaves. Spread a teaspoon of ghee on top.
10. Add 1 tsp oil to the same pan that we cooked the yakhni in. Throw in the red chili powder and turmeric powder. Place the eggs and fry for a minute till all the masala is coated to the eggs.
11. Place these eggs on top of the rice and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes. Switch off the heat and let it simmer for 10 more minutes. Remove the eggs, and gently mix the rice. Serve hot immediately with eggs on top.
Serve this hyderabadi anda biryani recipe hot immediately along with onion raita.
Even Bagara Baingan goes well with this biryani.
More similar recipes:
- South Indian Chicken Biryani
- Egg Dum Biryani
- Fish Biryani
- Prawn Biryani
- Chicken Keema Biryani
- Pressure Cooker Vegetable Biryani
How to make the Hyderabadi Anda biryani recipe
Hyderabadi Anda Biryani
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 8 eggs, boiled and shelled
- 500 gms basmati rice, soaked for 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2+1 tsp oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 green chili, slit in middle
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamom
- 1 inch stick of cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1.5 tsp salt , or to taste
- mint and coriander leaves, for garnish
How To Make:
- Wash the rice and soak for half an hour.
Preparing egg biryani yakhni
- Heat the ghee in a large enough pan and fry the onions, green chili, whole spices till golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste. Cook till the raw smell from the ginger garlic paste has vanished.
- Now add in the tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder and cook till the tomatoes are cooked and pulpy.
- Add the yogurt and whisk well to prevent curdling. Cook until oil starts separating from the sides of the pan. Your yakhni is ready. Set aside in another bowl.
Preparing boiled eggs
- Heat 1 tsp oil in the same pan and add some red chili powder and turmeric powder. Fry the boiled eggs in this oil for a couple of minutes. Set the eggs aside.
Boiling rice for the biryani
- Boil water along with salt in a large enough vessel. Add the soaked rice and parboil. Drain from water
How to make the Hyderabadi Egg Biryani
- Place half of the rice in a pan. Layer with the yakhni masala.
- Place the remaining rice. Garnish with coriander leaves and mint leaves. Place the eggs. Cook covered on simmer for 15 minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove the eggs, mix the rice gently. Serve along with eggs immediately.
- The cooking time of the rice also depends on the rice, just ensure the right quantity of water.
- You can also add whole spices when boiling the rice for more flavor.
- Lemon juice can be added for a tangy flavor too.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in July of 2016. Step by step photos and video have been added for the better understanding of the users. The recipe has been made printable in November 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.