Aloo Methi sabji recipe is a simple yet extremely delicious vegetarian curry. Made with potato and fenugreek leaves, this is so easy to make.
After I edited the video, I was searching for the aloo methi sabji post. I wanted to put up the recipe link in the youtube description. To my surprise, I had not yet posted the aloo methi recipe as yet.
It is such an often made dish at my home that it was impossible that I couldn’t have posted it. But then, we take the things that are easily available for granted.
Better late than never, I guess. Here I am posting the aloo methi sabji recipe finally. I add methi leaves to almost anything and everything. The bittery taste goes so well with most of the other vegetables.
For instance, in this aloo methi recipe too, the sweetness of the potato goes so well with the bitterness of the methi leaves.
If possible try to get the 2 leaf methi. I personally love that taste more than the other more mature methi leaves.
Here in India, the tender methi leaves are so easily available, but when I was in Dubai I couldn’t get hold of it as often.
I used to grow them at home. The methi plants grow quite easily and it doesn’t require much water.
There are many benefits of fenugreek or methi.
- The fenugreek or methi helps in constipation.
- It is a great food to control diabetes.
- The fenugreek or methi is good for reducing cholesterol.
- They are good for kidney trouble.
- Reduces menstrual discomfort.
What is the taste of fenugreek?
The fenugreek or methi has a slightly bitter and sweet taste. It can be a spice or a herb. The seeds are used as a spice whereas the leaves are used as a herb.
How to remove bitterness from methi leaves.
- Mix the methi leaves with salt and set them aside for sometime. Then rinse it thoroughly before cooking.
- Remove the leaves thoroughly from the stems. The tender stems leave a very bitter taste, so make sure to remove the stems thoroughly.
- Adding potato or paneer and other kinds of sweet food helps balance the bitterness of the methi leaves.
For more methi recipes, try the following links
So let’s started with the aloo methi sabji recipe, how to make aloo methi sabzi
Here is the step by step direction of making the aloo methi sabji
- Choose best methi leaves. Remove the leaves from the stems and rinse it thoroughly. You will have to wash it at least three times to thoroughly remove the sand. Take a bowl of water and put the methi leaves. Dip it well in water before removing gently from the top. The sand would have deposited at the bottom.
- Heat oil and fry the chopped onions till brown.
- Throw in the spices when the onion has turned golden brown.
- Add in the peeled and cubed potatoes and add sufficient water. Cover and cook till the potatoes are 3/4th done.
- Add methi leaves and cook till the potatoes are fully done. Serve hot.
Aloo Methi Sabji Recipe, How to make aloo methi sabzi
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 to 5 bunches methi leaves, leaves separated
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
How To Make:
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onions.
- Fry till the onion turn translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell vanishes from it.
- Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Fry for a minute and add the diced potatoes.
- Add sufficient water and cook till the potatoes are 3/4th done.
- Next throw in the methi leaves and cook till the potatoes are fully cooked.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org. Appreciate your help.
This recipe was originally published in March 2017. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. New step by step photos have been added and the recipe has been made printable.