Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatahu
Allam Chutney Recipe or the Allam Pachadi Recipe or the ginger chutney is a traditional Andhra chutney recipe which tastes great with idli, dosa or even upma. The main ingredient which gives out the unique taste in this chutney is the ginger. For best results make this allam chutney recipe with fresh Indian ginger which gives out a strong flavor.
A very simple preparation with the most basic ingredients, the allam chutney recipe or the allam pachadi recipe is pretty easy to make. Little jaggery is added to balance out the flavor of the ginger. That is how it is made in Andhra Pradesh.
You can always alter this to suit your individual taste preferences like adding in more chili or ginger or tamarind. If you love ginger or like to include ginger in your diet, then you will fall in love with this Allam Chutney Recipe or the Allam Pachadi Recipe or the ginger chutney.
Though ginger is the main ingredient in this chutney, its flavor is not so strong as the jaggery and the tamarind evenly balances it out. Allam means ginger in telugu and pachadi means chutney, hence the title of this recipe. A typical Telugu dish.
You can especially try this chutney with the moong dal dosa or the pesarattu which is an awesome combination. This is the most common combo which is served in the Andhra where this chutney originally originates from.
This is the favorite combination for my hubby dearest who loves the pesarattu dosa or the moong dal dosa, another of the favorite dishes from the Telugu Cuisine, with the allam chutney. Ok, before I forget to mention, that he is from Andhra and he is one who guided me on this pachadi. He is pretty much fond of the Andhra or the Telugu cuisine, naturally.
That’s the reason why you see lot of Andhra or the Telugu Cuisine on my blog. And not to forget my parents hail from Andhra too. So these cuisines come naturally to us.
Let’s get started with the Allam Chutney Recipe or the Allam Pachadi Recipe or the ginger chutney
Allam Chutney Recipe, Allam Pachadi, Ginger Chutney
- 100 gms ginger
- 5 - 6 whole dry red chili
- 1 tbsp tamaring paste
- 1 tsp jaggery
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds / methi seeds
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, urad dal and fenugreek seeds. As the mustard seeds starts spluttering, add dried red chillies. Fry for 20 secs and remove from the flame.
- Peel the ginger and cut into medium sized pieces.
- In a mixie, add the ginger pieces and give it a quick pulse. The ginger should be coarsely ground at this point. Add the roasted spices and grind again to a paste.
- Finally add jaggery and tamarind pulp and grind to incorporate them. You can add some water according to your liking.
- Add salt to taste and serve with idli, dosa or vada.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
For more such recipes try out the following
Yummy Allam Chutney!
Gone back to my childhood days……