Harees recipe is a traditional Arabic one pot dish made with wheat and chicken. You can even make this amazing recipe with boneless lamb too.
A traditional Middle-Eastern dish which is made in almost all the Arab households, the Harees or harissa is made daily during Ramadan.
Whether it is for suhoor or iftar, Harees Recipe or harissa is a must have during Ramadan. With minimal spices, it is light and easy on the stomach. Harees or harissa recipe is a simple, filling and delicious dish.
For more similar recipes try the following
Here, in Dubai, we find harees distributed by the wealthy people daily in big vessels. I had no clue prior to coming to live here as to what harees was. The closest thing that I came across to harees/harissa in India is the haleem recipe with all the indian spices and masalas.
Harees recipe is an Arab version of it without all the masalas added. You would definitely need to acquire a taste for this harees recipe if you haven’t taste before. But if you do, you won’t look back for sure.
If you happen to have Arab neighbors, you are sure to receive the Harees / harissa during Ramadan. You would find Harees / harissa recipe at all of their parties, be it on Eid or a wedding or any other special occasion. It is pretty popular Emirati dish.
Harees recipe/harissa is made with whole wheat along with lamb or chicken with few spices. The wheat grains are ideally soaked overnight or atleast 8 hours, seasoned and then simmered in water to cook and cook and cook.
Let’s start or harees or harissa recipe.
Ingredients for harees recipe, Hairssa
- 2 cups of harees /wheat grains
- 1 kg (2 lbs) of chicken, deboned
- 2 sticks of cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp of black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- melted butter or olive oil
Method for making harees recipe, Harissa
- Soak the wheat overnight.
- In a very large pot, add the soaked wheat, chicken, cinnamon, black pepper, salt and enough water and bring to a boil.
- Cook it till the harees becomes a watery consistency. Remember to stir at the bottom every few minutes to prevent the bottom from getting burnt. This will take some time to get cooked.
- With a hand blender, blend it well. The consistency shouldn’t be like a fine paste and left little bit grainy.
- Serve it hot with butter or olive oil on top.
- Harees takes a bit of time to cook. When cooked, it will be somewhat like an oats porridge.
- You can add any other spices of your choice.
- Traditionally the harees is blended with a wooden masher.
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you like this recipe.
For receiving exciting new recipes, subscribe to this blog.
If you are looking to buy through amazon, please consider using the following link