Spicy Chettinad Egg Masala Curry, How to make chettinad egg masala
An exotic yet simple egg preparation. If you are tired of eating the same egg bhurji or egg omelette over and over again, try this different kind of spicy chettinad egg masala curry.
Serve it with rice, naan or chapati, the spicy chettinad egg masala curry tastes very much like restaurant style gravies, and the secret lies in the freshly ground spices. Chettinad is a very popular cuisine of tamil nadu, a South Indian state
I make this gravy when I have made some other gravy or curry for my kids as it is too spicy and hot for my kids’ taste.
My husband is a huge fan of spicy food and I am always trying to make a balance between my husband and kids to suit their different tastes.
I sometimes take some of the curry for my kids after cooking and then add the chili for ourselves and cook a little further.
But all recipes can’t be altered like that, and adding chili in later stages can screw the entire recipe and one such recipe is this spicy chettinad egg masala curry.
As the name suggests, the spicy chettinad egg masala curry is really hot. But if you wish, reduce the amount of chili in it. But what is spicy chettinad egg masala curry without the spice.
Though the list looks long and exhaustive, it is not. It is pretty much simple once you get the spices ready.
The aroma from the chettinad spices is just pure therapy. At least for me, it is. I love how the whole house gets engulfed from it.
Yes, I never tire of raving about the spices of the chettinad cuisine. But what can I do, when it is true. I simply can’t get over it and having lived all my life in Chennai in tamil nadu invariably has an effect of the tamil cuisine on u.
When the humble egg gets so exotic with the spices, there is very little chance that you would blame me for the ravings. I totally, totally adore it.
Shallots mean the small onions that we commonly use for sambar, otherwise knows as sambar vengayam in Tamil. If you cannot find it, you can very well use the regular onions. It is so easily available in Tamil nadu and for that matter in most parts of India and the world too.
But the taste from the shallots is pretty delicious and if you can find it, then please, please do not substitute it for the regular ones. Trust me on this!!
Let’s get started with the Spicy Chettinad Egg Masala Curry from the famous cuisine of Tamil Nadu.
Ingredients for the spicy chettinad egg masala curry
- 4 eggs, boiled and de-shelled
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp shahi jeera
- 2 cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 inch stick cinnamon
- 5-6 whole red chili
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup shallots, ground into paste
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cup tomato puree
- salt to taste
Method for spicy chettinad egg masala curry
- Grind together black pepper, cumin seeds, shahi jeera, cardamom, cloves,stick cinnamon and whole red chili to a fine powder.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a kadai and add a pinch of salt. Fry the boiled eggs lightly and add a pinch of red chili powder and set aside.
- Heat the 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds till they splutter. Add the cumin seeds.
- Add the shallots paste and fry till golden brown. Mix in the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell vanishes from the ginger garlic paste.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, tomato puree, salt, the ground spice powder and water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Put the fried eggs in the gravy and cook on low flame for 5 more minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you like this recipe.
For receiving exciting new recipes, subscribe to this blog.
If you are looking to make a purchase from amazon please consider buying through the following links