Murgh Makhani Recipe and it is not Chicken Tikka Masala. If you thought chicken tikka masala and murgh makhani are same, then I am sorry, you are wrong.
Murgh Makhani recipe or butter chicken masala is a delicous, rich and heavy delight. Save this recipe for special occasions if you are health conscious. The murgh makhani recipe/butter chicken masala is a very rich dish made with as the name suggests butter, cream and cashew nut paste.
Traditionally it is the chicken is marinated and grilled in oven or tandoor and cooked again in a makhani sauce. But sometimes when I am short on time, I make this simple and instant yet amazingly taste murgh makhani recipe. If you are really conscious about the calories that go into this murgh makhani, you can very well subsitute the butter with oil, cream with yogurt and cashew-nuts with coconut.
But what is murgh makhani recipe without the makhan (butter) and the cream in it. It won’t taste the same. If you go to any non-veg Indian restaurant, you will surely find the murgh makhani or the butter chicken in the menu. And it really leaves me amazed how each restaurant adds its own unique variation to it.
For similar recipes try the
If you have guests coming over at short notice and you don’t have time to grill and make the chicken, try this simple and easy murgh makhani recipe. I am sure you wont be disappointed in the least.
Let’s get started with the murgh makhani recipe/butter chicken recipe
Ingredients for murgh makhani recipe
- 1 chicken, cut into medium pieces (learn to remove raw smell from chicken here)
- 3 medium onions, ground into paste
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tomato, ground into paste
- 1/2 cup cashew nut
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cardamom
- 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves/kasuri methi
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2tsp garam masala powder
Method for murgh makhani recipe
- Grind together cashew nuts and cream, and set aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan and add the bay leaves, cardamom, fenugreek leaves/kasuri methi and cumin seeds and fry till it leaves an aroma.
- Add the onion paste and fry till the paste turns pink.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, tomato paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt. Cook till the oil starts leaving the sides of the pan. Add the chicken now.
- Lower the flame to the minimum after adding the chicken. When the chicken is done, cook till the oil leaves the sides of the pan again.
- Mix in the cashew-nuts and cream paste at this point and stir well. When the oil surfaces on top, switch off the flame. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.
- More than the ingredients, the technique used in this recipe plays a key role.
- After adding the cashew-nut and cream paste, remember to stir often as the gravy gets burnt at the bottom quickly.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you like this recipe.
For receiving exciting new recipes, subscribe to this blog.