Arbi ki sabji with gravy is a tasty colocasia root curry that tastes awesome with rice. This is the type of gravy that you will love eating every week.
For more similar recipes try the following
A delicious Hyderabadi Arbi ki sabji or the arbi ka khatta salan which is amazing to mix with rice and eat. If you are bored with eating the dal, rasam or other same gravies, then you must definitely try this Arbi ka khatta salan.
The english name is colocasia root for the arbi. The Hyderabadi Arbi ki sabji / salan tastes delicious in whatever way we make it. Be it with mutton or in a just plain veg. The stickiness in the vegetable gives it a unique taste.
In this arbi ki sabji with gravy, Hyderabadi Arbi ka salan we make a paste of the onion, tomato and coconut and cook it along with the arbi and add the tamarind pulp to make a delicious gravy that tastes amazing with the rice. One of the few gravies which I loved when I was a kid along with bhindi ka khatta.
Let’s get started with thearbi ki sabji with gravy, Hyderabadi Arbi ka salan recipe
Ingredients for Arbi ki sabji with gravy, Hyderabadi Arbi ka salan
- 8-10 arbi, peeled
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves/kadi patta
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 onion, ground into paste
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh coconut, ground into paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek powder/methi powder
- 1 lemon sized tamarind ball, soaked in water
- salt to taste
Method for arbi ki sabji with gravy, Hyderabadi Arbi ka salan
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds till they splutter.
- Add the cumin seeds, curry leaves and onion. Fry till the onion paste gets brown in color. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell vanishes.
- Put the peeled arbi, chopped tomato, turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, fenugreek powder and salt and cover the lid. Cook until the arbi is tender. About 4 or 5 whistles in the pressure cooker. Allow the steam to escape.
- Add the coconut paste and soaked tamarind pulp and cook on low flame till the oil starts to float in the gravy, Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot with rice.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you like this recipe.
For receiving exciting new recipes, subscribe to this blog.